Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WinUAE under WINE on Linux?  (Read 1462 times)

Description:

Offline mingleTopic starter

• Show only replies by mingle
WinUAE under WINE on Linux?
« on: July 12, 2008, 08:04:57 AM »
Hi,

I'm tinkering with Linux at the moment (Ubuntu 8.04) and since the Linux version of UAE is a bit lacking, I was wondering if anyone has had any luck running WinUAE under the WINE Windows emulator?

Cheers,

Mike.

Offline Colani1200

• Show only replies by Colani1200

Offline whiteb

• Show only replies by whiteb
Re: WinUAE under WINE on Linux?
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 08:43:00 AM »
ummmm, why would you want to run an EMULATOR, inside an EMULATOR ?
A4000D - CSMKII//128MB/IDE CF/Indivision Scandoubler
A1200
A1000

(And now a Minimig) :>)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 08:44:55 AM »

whiteb wrote:
ummmm, why would you want to run an EMULATOR, inside an EMULATOR ?

WINE Is Not an Emulator.. the clue's in the name ;-)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 08:46:30 AM »

Colani1200 wrote:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=12718

I would be great if it worked perfectly :-( WinUAE is still a few generations ahead of E-UAE...

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 09:38:52 AM »
Ah ha! The Wine App DB - something else I didn't know about!

I've just reinstalled Ubuntu since my Wine install did something nasty to the stability of the system!

I have to say that my Linux attempts (this is my 3rd foray) always result in a system that's far less stable and much trickier to configure than my trusty WinXP Pro install - 5 years and still going strong without a SINGLE lock-up or crash!

Cheers,

Mike.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 09:43:12 AM »

mingle wrote:
Ah ha! The Wine App DB - something else I didn't know about!

I've just reinstalled Ubuntu since my Wine install did something nasty to the stability of the system!

I have to say that my Linux attempts (this is my 3rd foray) always result in a system that's far less stable and much trickier to configure than my trusty WinXP Pro install - 5 years and still going strong without a SINGLE lock-up or crash!

Cheers,

Mike.

Linux isn't for the "Home User", WindowXP is. If you need UNIX at home I would say go MacOS X... But I like MacOS X, so I am biased  :-)

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 09:55:54 AM »
Home user, eh?

Actually I'm in IT and am far from some simple non-techie - although I never refer to myself as a 'nerd'!

I'd say OSX (10.4.11 was the one I was using) is far more suited to the 'home user'/consumer than any other OS. I never liked OSX and sold sold my Mac a few months ago.

Linux has great potential and feels more 'Amiga-like' than any other mainstream OS at the moment. The community around it is awesome. However it is still somewhat painful and irritating to get running exactly the way I want.

I've always found XP Pro to be rock-solid and never understand what people do to make it run so badly on their systems. Sure I have to run a virus scanner, but apart from that it's been great. It also has by far and away the biggest range of software - which is why I was trying Wine on my Ubuntu install.

I'd love to be able to run some of my VSTis (Korg Legacy, Kontakt, etc) on Linux, but I suspect if WinUAE is causing probs I've NO chance with them!

Cheers,

Mike.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 10:09:46 AM »

mingle wrote:
Home user, eh?

Actually I'm in IT and am far from some simple non-techie - although I never refer to myself as a 'nerd'!

Wow! touchy or what!?!? I must have hit a nerve there... I like to think of my self as a techie too... but that doesn't mean I want to use a painfully complex UNIX at home... I prefer to run MacOS X at home, and on the odd occasion I need some particular piece of software WinXP (usually in parallels now).

I'd say OSX (10.4.11 was the one I was using) is far more suited to the 'home user'/consumer than any other OS.

Ok... That's kinda what I said...

I never liked OSX and sold sold my Mac a few months ago.

Not sure what there's not to like... Nice clean, simple, stable, secure and with a full blown UNIX underneath if you want to do something a bit clever.... Preferable to Windows in that regard.

Linux has great potential and feels more 'Amiga-like' than any other mainstream OS at the moment.

Linux is a good free UNIX... and feels nothing like Amiga...

The community around it is awesome.

True... though at times too arrogant. The *BSD crews seem more friendly.

However it is still somewhat painful and irritating to get running exactly the way I want.

I agree, that's why I suggested OS X for a nice UNIX to have at home.

I've always found XP Pro to be rock-solid and never understand what people do to make it run so badly on their systems.

Well, I've had my issues with XP... but I've had equal (but different) issues with Linux... so it's swings and roundabouts...

Linux is almost always issues with drivers and various bits of software not playing fair... With XP... it was a eventual gunge up of the system every 14 months (yeah, I know it's my fault, but I do like to use the OS...), the painful Network set up (much better now with SP2) and the spybots, AVs and firewalls that I had to run all the time... painful...

Sure I have to run a virus scanner, but apart from that it's been great. It also has by far and away the biggest range of software - which is why I was trying Wine on my Ubuntu install.

Or use VMware?

I'd love to be able to run some of my VSTis (Korg Legacy, Kontakt, etc) on Linux, but I suspect if WinUAE is causing probs I've NO chance with them!

Hmmm... I skipped over VSTis and went to Audio Units... since they integrate better with the Audio sub system, they have lower latency. If you are making music, I honestly would lose XP and go OSX...

Offline Colani1200

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 10:28:06 AM »

mingle wrote:

WINE pretty much doesn't do anything unless you start some Windows app. How did you install it, with Synaptics I hope?!

I have to say that my Linux attempts (this is my 3rd foray) always result in a system that's far less stable and much trickier to configure than my trusty WinXP Pro install

Maybe you are unlucky with you hardware. If your hardware is fully supported, Ubuntu is stable as hell. Ease of use is just a question of what you're used to. I find Windows much more difficult. You have to collect drivers apps and whatnot from allover the net and if you're unlucky, it doesn't work together. Because of being the #1 virus OS around, you are forced to use security software that hooks deeply into your system and bothers you with stupid questions (apart from the stupid dialogs that are already integrated, "This software could be harmful for your computer, do you really want to run it?" Hell, I double-clicked it, so what do you think?). I think Windows has become pretty unusable. But that's just my opinion...

Offline Colani1200

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 10:35:06 AM »

bloodline wrote:
If you are making music, I honestly would lose XP and go OSX...

Basically I agree. But for XP, there is a lot more freeware (VSTi synths / effects). So far, this kept me from buying a Mac for making music. I plan to stick to XP with my music machine until the open source DAWs like Rosegarden and the like ar far enough and run VSTis without problems.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 10:41:14 AM »

Colani1200 wrote:

bloodline wrote:
If you are making music, I honestly would lose XP and go OSX...

Basically I agree. But for XP, there is a lot more freeware (VSTi synths / effects). So far, this kept me from buying a Mac for making music. I plan to stick to XP with my music machine until the open source DAWs like Rosegarden and the like ar far enough and run VSTis without problems.

With music software... I believe, you get what you pay for :-)

Offline Colani1200

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 12:26:13 PM »

bloodline wrote:

With music software... I believe, you get what you pay for :-)

ATM, nothing beats Cubase, Logic, Fruity and the other commercial DAWs around, no doubt. But I think that this will change in the same way as with all standard software, just have a look at Firefox & Openoffice. There's really some excellent freeware around already, just browse the database at kvraudio.com. Being a musician, you probably know that site.

Offline Merc

• Show only replies by Merc
    • http://chebucto.ns.ca/~ah210/Profile.html
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 01:00:36 PM »
It works for me with the same setup (Unbuntu 8).  The only issue I've had is that once you hit F12 for the UAE control panel it keeps appearing after you click OK.   So that's slightly annoying but it does seem to work otherwise.

I have upgraded to Wine 1.0x, but WinUAE worked with the default version for Ubuntu 8 too.

Hope that helps