Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: There is an Amiga god  (Read 958 times)

Description:

Offline scuzzb494Topic starter

There is an Amiga god
« on: May 15, 2017, 06:57:51 PM »
Hi

I've been struggling all afternoon trying to get one of these GVP sidecars working but with no joy. One of the problems is that I just cannot release the screws from the bottom of the unit as someone has drilled out the centres. They are not the star type... I've tried everything. The faulty unit appears to have suffered some abuse in a previous life as the end slot connectors are mangled and one is broken off. There is no real way for me to swap out the unit without getting the board off. I was simply going to try the hd in another unit but can't get it out.

Anyway, while working on the 500 my eyes were again drawn to my Amiga 500 that thinks its a 1200. The one that is fitted with the Viper 520 CD board. The trouble is the machine runs fine but the hard drive doesn't work and the board wont work with the traditional Amiga sidecars.

I wasn't getting anywhere with the GVP so I slid out the 500 tatty box and plugged her in. Whoo err !!. And sadly there was the fast repetitive click of the small 2.5" and then the floppy boot screen. I tried again and again and again but no luck. I then decided to even turn the machine over on its back. That didn't work either.

This A500 has the 3.0 ROM and runs OS3. I am amazed at the speed of the card its a 68EC020 33MHz. 32 it OS 3.0 ROM ver 39.106. The card has 8 mb of RAM. The card has an integrated 4 units IDE adaptor giving 1 x 2.5", 2 x 3.5" ...up to 4.  ATAPI software is available. SysInfo gives me a Cowabunga or what ever and the 500 is second only to the 4000 from the list outgunning the 3000. The 500 thinks its more than a 1200. Sad really.

No comfort as I sit there listening to the tiny hard drive endlessly clicking over and over and over .. AND THEN.. it stopped and there was a welcome reset noise on the drive. I rebooted but from floppy still and there magically on the screen was an 80mb Workbench and 81 mb util volume. My heart was in my mouth and I rebooted without the floppy ... SHE's ALIVE. The drive worked fine booted straight into the 3.0 OS. MY GOODNESS there is an Amiga god.

Am I happy .. You bet I am. I have a Viper 520 working on the A500 and I'm in heaven.

http://www.scuzzscink.com/amiga/car_0608/car08401.jpg

http://www.scuzzscink.com/amiga/car_0608/car08402.jpg

Bet you don't see one of those very often. Classic.

scuzz

Offline carvedeye

• Show only replies by carvedeye
Re: There is an Amiga god
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 08:31:07 PM »
Awesome :)
A1200T: M1230XA 50Mhz 68030 w/64mb,DVDRom, 80gb hdd, Realtek LAN Card, Mediator LT4 + Radeon 9250 128mb(used for fast ram), Spider USB Card, Voodoo 3 3000 OS 3.9 +bb 1-3

Offline goldfish

• Show only replies by goldfish
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 08:32:51 PM »
If I was you I would clone the drive quick. Once a drive starts playing up they don't normally stay recovered for long.

Offline mechy

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 08:35:29 PM »
The viper 520cd is a great board, being 33mhz 020 it is pretty good. the ide is just gayle ide.
i would get that drive copied to a cd and install a cf to ide adapter and cf on the viper.
 it makes it seem even faster. its also low heat/power.

I actually installed my viper520 cd on the a1000 and added a x-surf to the side port using trumpcard 500slots and surfed the net on the A1000. works well with Ibrowse 2.4 if u set it to use only fastmem.. well,as well as one can expect ;)
I still want to change the 3.0 roms to 3.1 someday on the viper, but its not pressing.
that old hd may not last long if the head was stuck already.

have some pics of the gvp side cars and describe the exact problem, maybe we can help u get them going.

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 08:48:59 PM »
congratz scuzz! love it when you get that "oh f*&^% me" moment after spending hours hacking away only to find the miggy isn't 'alive' just right BUT finally she springs back !..pain and joy & joy & pain ..ah the memoires of Amiga hardrware upgrading/ hacking/ repairing/ messing:hammer:
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline ribdevil1

• Show only replies by ribdevil1
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 09:13:15 PM »
Copy your data.
Your H.D. it's close to dying.

The continuous "click", is sign of a physical error.
Viva AMIGA:roflmao:
Amiga 1200 -Blizzapd PPC + BVision + Mediator OS 3.9 + OS 4.0 Classic
SAM 440 Flex 800Mhz + 1Gb + Ati 9250 OS4.1u2
AmigaOne X5000 + 8Gb + Radeon R9 270

It\'s my new CHAMELEON 64 A C64 or an AMIGA ?

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 11:38:14 PM »
Echoing everyone else on the hard drive bit: clone now!

I had been waiting for parts for an old server I have running.  Been running since I started 17 years ago.  Was built with two each IBM 9GB and 36GB SCSI.  Over the years it lost one each.  The parts arrived right before I left for VCF a couple of weekends ago and I was scheduled to replace the remaining hard drives Wednesday night.

The 36GB drive died Tuesday afternoon.  According to Drive Savers, it died in spectacular fashion with heads contacting platters.

Offline Jeff

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Jeff
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 11:51:14 PM »
The "Click of Death"

Offline scuzzb494Topic starter

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 12:38:39 AM »
Quote from: klx300r;825802
congratz scuzz! love it when you get that "oh f*&^% me" moment after spending hours hacking away only to find the miggy isn't 'alive' just right BUT finally she springs back !..pain and joy & joy & pain ..ah the memoires of Amiga hardrware upgrading/ hacking/ repairing/ messing:hammer:

Its all I do. I spend each day keeping the plates on top of the sticks. I never like to see a plate fall from the stick. Every so often you find an unbroken plate and can get it spinning again.

This isn't about making computers run with modern equivalents. It is about trying to keep the kit working for as long as I can in my lifetime. There really is no way I am going to get another wafer thin drive like the one on the Viper. The whole card is a thing of beauty. I thought it was lost but it is alive and very much kicking. There is nothing on the drive but the operating system. This is a humble Amiga 500 running a 3.0 Rom and a card of this magnitude.

I'll tell you something funny shall I. I found out about this 500 cus there were some on a forum that were making fun of an Amiga 500 boxed on Ebay that proclaimed to be a 1200. I have always seen A500s as one of those eggs you crack open and find hidden treasures. So I put in a nominal bid, I dunno £25 and won it. I then drove all the way to Windsor and picked up the computer. The guy who owned it had died and his friend was selling. He just read what was scribbled on the box, he had no idea what was inside. He also gave me other kit and computers that were in the garage.

When I got home I opened the A500 and inside was the Viper with 3.0Rom and hard drive. I have loads of disks with the machine plus the documentation for the card. It was a real find. Sadly the hard drive wasn't working so I placed the computer in store. I have not tried that computer properly for probably nine years and today I had a go. Hence the joy.

I have set up a special place for the computer and will run the machine every day now till she finally gives up. I will not tax the computer too much but will learn as much as I can about the card and enjoy seeing the computer working. I have numerous machines that get switched on every day or so to check that they are working. I have had enough scares from impending doom , but trust me when I say, I get all the kit working, and it continues to work. I recently replaced all the disk drive belts in all my 3" ( that's three inch, not 3.5") drive machines. 9512, DD1, 6128 +3 etc. I have brought so many machines back to life. And I make sure they keep working. The trick is simply to use them, and make sure you don't go hacking them about with new alternatives. I use only the original kit. My monitors are originals and my hard drives are as intended, hard.

Just this morning I discovered one of my A500Plus machine still with the seals intact. My heart skipped a beat at the horror of a battery that I had overlooked. Also there were two keys missing off the keyboard. Anyway I opened the computer up and fortunately the very dark blue barrel had only just started to leak. I removed the battery, cleaned up with vinegar and neutralised the area and dried. I then replaced the keyboard and gave the machine a thorough clean . I then added a WTS Electronics Ltd Pro-Ram A501 512K board , strapped on a 590 and set up on a monitor. Great fun. And another machine revived.

You are right, there really isn't anything like the feeling of getting the old steam train back on the tracks. It really wouldn't be a steam train with a diesel engine, would it.

By the way I have three 500s with XT 590 drives that make enough noise to wake the dead. Kinda like music to my ears in truth. If the drives die there is no real way to replace them. But what would a 590 be without that hd brick inside.... certainly not a 590 anymore. I have all my OSs and drives copied to ZIP so I have the software protected. Just wish I could go back in time and get some old stock. Ar hum. Happy days.

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 12:59:40 PM »
Quote from: scuzzb494;825797
Hi

I've been struggling all afternoon trying to get one of these GVP sidecars working but with no joy. One of the problems is that I just cannot release the screws from the bottom of the unit as someone has drilled out the centres. They are not the star type... I've tried everything.

try some screw extractors like this:

Offline Pat the Cat

Re:
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 03:57:13 PM »
Quote from: scuzzb494;825797
There is an Amiga god...

Amos, brother. Amos. :laughing:
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi