Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: If a game can be installed with an installer, then should I still install it with WHDLoad?  (Read 1508 times)

Description:

Offline sim085Topic starter

• Show only replies by sim085
If a game can be installed with an installer, then should I still install it with WHDLoad?

(guess my question is all in the title)

Offline rockersuke

• Show only replies by rockersuke
It depends where you pretend to play with it. Usually WHDLoad installs fix incompatibilities with kickstarts or chipsets of later generations Amigas and add an exit button, so they can be handy even if the game was already HD installable.

Offline Rebel-CD32

• Show only replies by Rebel-CD32
It depends on the game. Generally the reason for running a game from its default installer is to save memory. Some installed games will reboot your Amiga and run the game without loading Workbench, therefor making them installable and playable on stock standard 2MB systems or whatever they were designed for. WHDLoad-installed games will require more memory because usually you'll be running Workbench in the background, and even if you write a startup-sequence to load the game without Workbench, it'll still need to load WHDLoad in the background, which can be enough to run out of RAM for some games.

The advantages of using WHDLoad to install the game are many though. First, you get a quit key, so you can exit back to Workbench at any time during the game. Several patches can be applied to the games. Many can be forced to NTSC, which is handy for games that have that huge black box at the bottom of the screen. Often there are options for unlimited lives/ammo/credits or whatever. Fixes can be made to games that had bugs in them, keys and buttons can be remapped (very handy when a game uses UP to jump and you're using a control pad with extra buttons). All these options (depending on the game) can be accessed via the icon tooltypes of any WHDLoad-installed game.

One more thing I'll mention, some games still require certain a disk to be in the floppy drive when the game is installed or they won't run. (For example; Super Stardust, Super Street Fighter II, Mr. Nutz I think). WHDLoad fixes this! It's now possible to run Super Street Fighter II on an unexpanded CD32 for the first time ever (since the commercial CD32 version was never released) thanks to WHDLoad.
Amiga user forever.

Offline Matt_H

WHDLoad installs almost always bypass that annoying enter-word-3-on-page-54 copy protection. End of discussion, if you ask me :-)

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas

Matt_H wrote:
WHDLoad installs almost always bypass that annoying enter-word-3-on-page-54 copy protection. End of discussion, if you ask me :-)

HAHAHAHAHA, Pirates anyone? :lol:
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
It all Depends.

For instance, the Hired Guns WHDload installer is totally bugged out and won't run on my 060 unless I turn off the caches of my 060.

But the normal Hired Guns installer that comes with the game works perfectly on every Amiga.  No need to disable caches or AGA or any weird stuff like that.  It just works.

Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline sim085Topic starter

• Show only replies by sim085
Thank you very much for all the answers. I have some games like lemmings which I will definitely install with WHDLoad because of the exit option :) However at this point I am inclined to also install other games (such as Colonization) that did come with an installer also WHDLoad ... like that I will have everything using the same system. My only problem is that there is no WHDLoad version of SimCity ... but .. well I can always play it from disk :)

Offline marcfrick2112

• Show only replies by marcfrick2112
I agree, it depends on the game... On rare occasion, the games' installer will work for me, but 99% of the time, it won't. Alll sorts of things can 'break' a game... I happily played Syndicate for years using the 'official' installer, then one day it wouldn't work, can't remember if it was OS3.9 that broke it, or what...
 As for WHDLoad bypassing manual protection...thank goodness :) Sometimes, the manual protection is just insane... who's played Worms CD32 lately? Featuring the world-famous 'shiny-black-on-not-too-shiny-black' (TM) code sheet... I have an original with code sheet, but I can never get it to run. AAAaarghhh! I just play worms Dir. cut on my 1200 instead....
---------------
Marc Frick
---------------
A1200T / \'060, 256MB, CD-R, OS3.9
A4000 w/ WarpEngine / 82MB , OS3.1
A4000 16MB, OS 3.9
A1200 , \'030 / 10MB
A1200 (stock)

CD32 :)

...And a very sick 4000T

Offline utri007

And it depends if you are registered user of whdload or not :D
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline Sir_Lucas

• Show only replies by Sir_Lucas
Well, to tell you the truth IMHO registering WHDLoad is a MUST !!!  :-D
You have to do it, it's a wonderful piece of software, worth every penny.