Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Forever on a mini-ITX or nano-ITX x86 board...  (Read 1374 times)

Description:

Offline ChunderTopic starter

• Show only replies by Chunder
Amiga Forever on a mini-ITX or nano-ITX x86 board...
« on: April 12, 2006, 04:51:49 PM »
Hey all - does anyone have any experience with Amiga Forever on any of the small form-factor mobos that are available?

I've got an urge to make use of an old A600 or A1200 case and keyboard (with the new Keyrah thing) and a small x86 board inside, to make up a mock Amiga.

The plan would be to just use the Knoppix boot thing from HD to go straight into an Amiga environment, rather than using Windows (*spit*) - and from there, to be able to select from any of my WHDloaded games.

USB Zipsticks will help to complete the illusion.

However, all of the SFF boards seem to be reasonably low-powered, and the on-board sound and graphics aren't always highly specced... so I'm concerned that the performance of AF won't be up to the job of transparent emulation.

Any thoughts or experiences? Ta!
Pimp My Amiga  8-)

Offline ChunderTopic starter

• Show only replies by Chunder
Re: Amiga Forever on a mini-ITX or nano-ITX x86 board...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 04:55:28 PM »
Oh, and if you've got an old case and keyboard kicking around after a tower conversion (or the motherboard has ksploded), then please let me know! I don't want to buy-and-butcher a working machine :-)
Pimp My Amiga  8-)

Offline Fester

• Show only replies by Fester
    • http://www.rdmsnippets.com
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 05:09:40 PM »
Hi Chunder,

Yes, yes and yes, I've wanted to build a fake miggy using a mini-itx board. In fact, that's the _only_ reason I purchased a EPIA with a 1.3 Ghz cpu, 1 GB ram.

My project was a flop, but I kept the EPIA board anyway and made a fabulous media pc with it. It sits under my entertainment system and is now equipped with a Hauppaugge 350, a zapstream remote, and RF mouse/keyboard combo. I added a 400GB SATA HD to make sure there was enough room for all my recordings.

Here's what happened with the fake miggy project. I installed a via mini-itx epia in a small case. I included 1 GB ram, large capacity hard drive, a Catweasel MK IV and installed Windows XP home. The idea was to disable the Windows boot screen and auto-load Amikit at startup so that the machine would automatically run in Amiga Emulation with a floppy drive that could read Amiga diskettes.

Sounded like a great idea, but for some reason AF 2005 just froze solid on this pc. It wouldn't go anywhere. When I tried to install Amikit on top, it miserably failed with errors. So I went back to installing AF 2005 on my other pc, which has XP pro, not home. It works fine there and runs Amikit perfectly.

Had I known others would play with this idea, I would have taken care of documenting my problems...

Offline Fester

• Show only replies by Fester
    • http://www.rdmsnippets.com
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 05:12:15 PM »

Chunder wrote:
Oh, and if you've got an old case and keyboard kicking around after a tower conversion (or the motherboard has ksploded), then please let me know! I don't want to buy-and-butcher a working machine :-)

I have a spare 1200 case and keyboard, including LEDS. I live in the US. I wouldn't mind shipping it to you if you pay shipping...

Fester

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 04:57:28 AM »
I am interested in completing my A1000 conversion to an ultimate Amiga clone in hiding using an x86 mobo inside the A1000. (it is dead anyway, so please no flames for gutting a dead computer, this is the emulation forum)

Have any of you done a similar conversion or do you have suggestions for the best mobo for this project?  The choices have changed a lot since Kermit did his conversion years ago.  The goal is to make the conversion as transparent as possible to fool the average user into thinking the A1000 is still stock except for an autobooting HD inside, but also to max out the performance to have the ultimate emulated Amiga possible.

I would love to start a competition to see who can make the best sleeper A1000 or other sleeper Amigas.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline coldfish

• Show only replies by coldfish
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 08:35:08 AM »
http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/c64/

...a nice C64 based project.  This site has some good ones listed but no Amiga ones yet...

Offline paulvm

• Show only replies by paulvm
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 11:06:13 AM »
been working on a dead A2000 to convert in to a pc. I choosed this box so i could install standard atx mb and agp graphics. It has a athlon 64 3400 1gig ram 3400 ddr, radeon 9800le, 120 gig hd, and dvd burner. Along with uae, I plan to install mac emulators ballisk, and pearpc. Now that virtual server 2005(virtual pc) is free I plan to add other oses too. Like suse, win 3.1, qnx, aros, and win 98. I should be done in about a week i'll post pics then.

Offline adonay

• Show only replies by adonay
    • http://www.freewebs.com/adonay-/index.htm
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 11:58:06 AM »
thought about doing the same thing with a 1.3 ghz board but dident want to buy one in case they are under powerd
A1200 ACA 1230