Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MS counter-sued by college student  (Read 2426 times)

Description:

Offline VincentTopic starter

• Show only replies by Vincent
Re: MS counter-sued by college student
« Reply #14 from previous page: April 04, 2005, 02:29:12 PM »
mdma wrote:
The rest of the world sees the USA as the land of the law suit.

"Ooops, I spilt coffee on my lap, quick call a lawyer!"

Yup, without the law suits 90% of Americans would be out of jobs :-P
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2005, 05:56:27 PM »
Lawsuits are a Good Thing
just to clarify: in cases like this, yes, Lawsuits are a Good Thing!

frivolous lawsuits, on the other hand, are a Bad Thing! and there's WAY too many of those!

I say, good for this kid! more power to him. he did the right thing!
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2005, 07:11:50 PM »
[rant]That's just it. The definition of a "frivolous lawsuit," is rapidly changing. Back in the day, one would call suing your neighbor because his dog ate your roses frivolous, and I agree. Today, however, any lawsuit involving an individual suing a business or a doctor is considered frivolous. What's up with that? The bottom line is the executive and legislative branches aren't doing anything to force corporations, doctors, etc. to work within the law. In fact, they're doing just the opposite. Limiting damages? The only thing that keeps companies like Ford from producing cars that blow up and hack doctors from killing their patients is the financial impact of a possible lawsuit. Without that possibility, it's more profitable for Ford to make s--t cars and set aside the funds for the lawsuits. I'd like to see that change, I really would. But Ford only cares about their bottom line, and state medical boards won't take liceneses away from doctors found guilty of malpractice. (Personally, I don't think it should be up to a medical board. Found guilty of malpractice? Go directly to jail. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.00. Do not practice medicine. FYI, it's like that for attorneys. Attorneys found guilty of gross malpractice are disbarred. The end.) The judiciary is the only branch of our government fighting to protect the rights of the individual and the minority, and I hope that doesn't change.[/rant]

OK. Rant over. :-) And I like Windows. Go figure.

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2005, 08:05:01 PM »
The only thing that keeps companies like Ford from producing cars that blow up and hack doctors from killing their patients is the financial impact of a possible lawsuit.

In civilised nations we have something called regulation.  Works for us. :-P

Offline Trev

• Zero
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2005, 09:48:27 PM »
We're all Deregulation Nation on this side of the pond. Works well when you're rich and powerful, not so well when your kids are decapitated by cheap, removable minivan seats or a loved one is allowed to die by a doctor who was too busy f--king his girlfriend to respond to an emergency page. Both of those examples are true, and one of them relates to my family. You bet your ass we sued. Unfortunately, the minivans haven't changed, and the doctor is still practicing medicine.

Trev

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2005, 10:04:49 PM »

Trev wrote:
We're all Deregulation Nation on this side of the pond. Works well when you're rich and powerful, not so well when your kids are decapitated by cheap, removable minivan seats or a loved one is allowed to die by a doctor who was too busy f--king his girlfriend to respond to an emergency page. Both of those examples are true, and one of them relates to my family. You bet your ass we sued. Unfortunately, the minivans haven't changed, and the doctor is still practicing medicine.

Trev

Now over here, the company would be fined massively by the government, and sued the hell out of by your family.  The doctor would be struck off the practitioneers list, AND your family would sue the hell out of the NHS.

Best and worst of both worlds I guess.

Offline Trev

• Zero
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2005, 06:09:36 AM »
And wouldn't it be nice if that's how things worked over here? But no. Here, they just raise insurance premiums and blame it on the lawsuits. It's not the manufacturer's fault. It's not the doctor's fault. It's the victim's fault. What a country, eh?

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2005, 11:23:24 AM »

Trev wrote:
And wouldn't it be nice if that's how things worked over here? But no. Here, they just raise insurance premiums and blame it on the lawsuits. It's not the manufacturer's fault. It's not the doctor's fault. It's the victim's fault. What a country, eh?

If the USA was any different though, you'd move! :-D