Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I joined up to find old issues of 'The One Amiga' to buy!  (Read 1572 times)

Description:

Offline Giorgio_deTopic starter

• Show only replies by Giorgio_de
I joined up to find old issues of 'The One Amiga' to buy!
« on: July 17, 2004, 04:46:08 PM »
Hi,

I've had an Amiga 1200 since they were released.  All my friends had PC's and I was a little dissapointed to get an Amiga, but I grew to love my A1200 more than anything else.  I must have spent 3 years in total playing it if I add up all my gaming through a 10 year period.   I try to imagine what my life would have been like had I grown up without an Amiga and had a PC instead.  

The thing is that PC games had a slightly superior grahics capability and CD-Rom after a while yet I think that games which are graphically superior tend to be more shallow.  There is nothing better than finding a tiny PD game on an Amiga coverdisk and finding it to be 10 times more enjoyable than anything that the PC people could get.  Benefactor, Ork Attack, Parratack (sp?), Jetstrike, Base Jumpers and things like that rule!  

Games today just don't have that magical quality that Amiga games had.  I consider my Amiga 1200 to be the greatest thing I have or ever will purchase and I am eternally thankful to commadore for making the 1990's the greatest era in my life.

My love was Monkey Island 1+2, the Indiana Jones point+click games, heck ALL the games by LucasArts, Jurassic Park AGA and Ruff n Tumble which were great.

The first magazine I bought (and later ordered) was 'The One Amiga' which I loved, which is why I've wanted the older issues for many years.  I was hoping many of you here already would have some and would be willing to sell them (minus the disks of course).  :D  If you do want to sell some of yours please email me or reply and tell me which you have and I'd be happy to buy them from you!

Offline Holley

• Show only replies by Holley
    • http://www.Front-Runners.net
Re: I joined up to find old issues of 'The One Amiga' to buy!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004, 10:50:20 PM »
I hear you on the games side - Monster Bash 2 was on one cover disk, and is great fun!
\\"Sex, drugs and rock n\\\' roll are very good for you\\" - Ian Dury

Offline blobrana

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 10:57:36 PM »

Hum,
may as well say it again...

"There can only be One!"

Offline The_Power_of_the_Ginger

• Show only replies by The_Power_of_the_Ginger
    • http://madowl.coconia.net
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 11:00:59 PM »
Sorry, but I'm keeping mine. That last issue could become a collector's item, y'know...(well, maybe not :-D)

I can however tell you as a guide that the high point of the magazine definitely came after it changed from 'The One for Amiga Games' (where the reviews were tepid and the scores were generally too high) to 'The One Amiga'. The golden era ceased around towards the end of 1994. Still had great coverdisks there though.

Avoid the ones post July 1995...anyone who got one will know what I mean. The 'Maverick edition' contained amateur writing, unnecessary 8-page reviews (well, in a magazine where nobody advertises you have to fill it with SOMETHING) that droned on and on, useless tips and a recycled 'Recommended' section. I stopped getting it when it insulted my intelligence (I was 11 at the time). Apparently it had 16 pages and one coverdisk by the time it died again in July 1996.

It was still better than Amiga Action, even then. :-D
\\"Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!\\"

Offline Giorgio_deTopic starter

• Show only replies by Giorgio_de
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2004, 10:34:51 AM »
I remember the post July 1995 issues, they were insulting.  MY newsagent called me up in like December 1995 and said they had a whole bunch of The Ones for me to collect and I was like "OMG it's still going!!!" and then I saw them and one of them was like 12 pages and had the full version of Strip Poker as a coverdisk.  It was embarrassing.  I said I didn't want them.

Offline PMC

• Show only replies by PMC
    • http://www.b3ta.com
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 09:38:01 AM »
My claim to fame...

Way back in the day, a chap called Jools Watsham who happened to be a very good friend of mine was writing for The One, I think it must have been 1991 / 2-ish.  

He'd been studying an art course in London and ended up talking his way into a job there.  I think I still have an old back issue or two of his somewhere.  

Anyway, he left The One to work for Sales Curve (publishers of SWIV etc) as a graphic artist and ended up leaving for Texas in the summer of '93 to work for Iguana Entertainment, who were eventually swallowed up by Acclaim IIRC.  

He started out doing art on the ST using Degas Elite and graduated to Deluxe Paint on his A500.  I think he was still using Amigas well into 1994 when I lost touch with him.  
Cecilia for President