Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ease off bashing AmigaONE X1000?  (Read 52830 times)

Description:

Offline cgutjahr

• Show all replies
Re: Ease off bashing Amiga x1000?
« on: July 23, 2013, 03:19:19 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;741702
I fail to see why people feel the need to criticise the strategy EVERY TIME OS4 is mentioned.

This argument cuts both ways. There's a large group of people that keep criticising the X1000 every time it is mentioned, but there's an equally large group of people who dismiss every form of criticism as hate-mongering by blue trolls and insist that every thing is perfectly fine and only child molesters would ever claim otherwise.

As for why people keep criticising - I can only tell you why I keep criticising:

Hyperion and A-EON keep abusing the AMIGA trademark - or rather, due to lack of a proper license, the  "AMIGAsomething" trademark - to sell substandard, half finished products. I call that abuse.

They don't even bother to do proper PR anymore, they simply rely on their remaining user base to buy whatever it gets served. Questions about yesterdays announcements and promises are either dodged ("I don't like the term SMP anyway"), not answered "because of the trolls" or simply ignored. And, as a long-standing tradition in the OS4 camp, problems are either denied or downplayed ("I can play video just fine"). At the same time, gullible users are encouraged to buy a $4000 computer that doesn't even do DMA properly. I'm too polite to tell you what I call that.

OS4 used to be a very thrilling and promising project once, but they (i.e. the handfull of people that haven't been driven away by management yet) hit a dead end. Instead of admitting that and trying to figure out how to solve the problem, they simply invented the "we're AMIGA, and at least we're trying" defense - and they get away with it, because people are so loyal to the brand and/or product they have a hard time imagining that whoever's raping the brand this week can be that short sighted or deluded.

These days, the Amiga name is used to earn 7000 Euro with a half-assed and mostly unusable browser port, to get a free $800 computer for designing some skins or to sell a piece of 2005 hardware at 1985 prices and actually make people pay upfront. That kind of stuff pisses me off.