Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Speed rankings of Next Gen hardware  (Read 5738 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: Speed rankings of Next Gen hardware
« on: August 02, 2013, 05:40:20 PM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;743435
@Themamboman

I don't know anything about AmigaOne 500 or AmigaOne X1000.

According to everything I have read the Pegasos II G4 with MorphOS or OS4 beat the pants off everything else in your list.

But you can get some sorts of old Macs that run MorphOS and are better.  Some old macs are worse, others are better, I can't keep all the models straight.  I am sure there are several MorphOS experts reading this who can tell us the fastest macs that run MorphOS.

The fastest Amiga currently available is the PowerMac G5 2.7GHz Dual Processor machine running MorphOS 3.2.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 05:42:28 PM by nicholas »
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 05:45:26 PM »
Quote from: magnetic;743439
You can put that pegasos2 right below the x1000. os4 performance wise

A 500MHz PowerMac outperforms a 1.12GHz Sam460 even.

@Hyperion

PLEASE port OS4 to Mac hardware, you are losing customers because of it.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 09:16:23 PM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;743446
@Nicholas

Thanx dude!  You're a handy guy to have around!  I love timing tests!

Do you know much about those G4 and G5 machines?

I am thinking "Damn!  I want one of those MorphOS G5 machines!"

But then I am thinking "Wait, I don't want a blacksmith forge in my bedroom that can smelt iron.  I want something coooool so maybe I better get a 2.0Ghz G5 PowerMac instead of the 2.5Ghz version"

But then I am thinking "Wait, maybe they are different versions of the chip or different masks or whatever.  So for all I know the 2.5Ghz one runs cooler than the 2.0 Ghz version.  Like how my 50Mhz 060 is much cooler than my 25Mhz 040."

So do you know anything about their heat dissipation? (watts)

If you never had one or read up on them then I will "just assume" that I should aim for getting a lowly 2.0 Ghz model to keep the heat down.

Is there a list anywhere of TDP for both the CPU itself and the whole computer for all systems listed above?

I'm conservative so electrical efficiency is my prime criteria when selecting any type of computer and has been so since 1993.  I don't like wasting resources.  Using resources is ok but wasting them is not.   And it may seem weird but I also prefer to keep my money in MY bank account instead of the Electric Company's bank account.

I can't take the credit for the benchmarks, I pinched them from Piru. :)

The 2.7 GHz model runs at around 80 degrees C sat around doing nothing when fan cooled but runs a bit cooler when liquid cooled (the default is liquid cooled, fan cooling needs a mod).

They don't use that much electric when on OSX as it has more power saving features than MorphOS.

I recommend the PowerBook G4 1.67GHz machine with 128MB Radeon 9700 Pro myself. Runs cool and quiet and is very fast.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 11:46:50 PM »
Quote from: vox;743463
TRue in raw CPU power. In disk, memory and graphics, X1000 is still first, SAM 460 second, then G4 CPUs (amongst OS4 systems).

I feel a challenge ahead! :)

When you get your X1000 install a fresh Debian and run a benchmark of your choice.

I'll do the same with the G5 and compare.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 02:50:09 PM »
Quote from: _ThEcRoW;743512
Since when os4 hardware has altivec?. Probably x1000 the only one, and then software isn't taking advantage of it.

Peg2 G4 does and maybe the A1XE.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 05:22:10 AM »
Quote from: vox;743559
It will come with Ubuntu. Current tests show that X1000 is faster then G4 in cache and memory (and in real time copy files). How worse or better then G5 is hard to determine, as it wasn`t included in current tests.
http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2012-02-00011-EN.html

We could run this on each machine tested to see the strength and weaknesses of each machine.

http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/?k=downloads

Offline nicholas

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 03:48:02 PM »
Quote from: yssing;743635
You won't hear any compliants from me about the sam440 from me, I am quite happy with it.

For those who need to use a mac g5, use it with mos and be happy with it. Those who need x86 or arm can use aros and be happy with it.

The rest of us who wants to use AOS4.x use that and are happy with it.

The people I see complaining about AOS4.x are most likely not users of AOS4.x and probably never will be. And funny as their nagging are, it is also becoming very boring.

I don't think anyone is complaining about OS4.

People are complaining that they would like to run OS4 but are unimpressed with the limited range of hardware available to run OS4 on.

I haven't used OS4 on my own hardware since I sold my BPPC a few years ago but if Hyperion ported it to Macs I'd buy a copy the day it was released, just like many Peg2 owners did.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 06:59:24 PM »
Quote from: vox;743729
I will just say that other way around works too: many SAM and X1000 users would like to see MorphOS on their system. SAM 460 port is good way to go, sadly MOS team refused Nemo board from Trevor.

Why should they work for free?  I'm sure he pays Hyperion to port OS4 to X1000 rather than just giving them a free motherboard.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 08:42:18 PM »
Quote from: vox;743742
Well, same can be said for OS4 port for MacMini. Both Hyperion and MOS team expect to be paid for new mobo ports, which is not likely. And not like there are million PPC choices - its exhausted beside SAMs and X1000 for MOS and PPC Macs for AOS4.

The difference is that Hyperion could potentially gain thousands of new customers by releasing the (already existing) Mac port of OS4.

How many potential new customers would an X1000 port bring the MorphOS Team? A couple of hundred at most.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 09:24:02 PM »
Quote from: Blizz1220;743744
I don't think "they" could because Moana is owned and copyrighted by one of the ACube (former? present?) employees ...

They would have to make their own or pay him for what he's done I guess ...

Whole Moana scandal just seems like a silly game to me really , laptop got stolen , it got released etc ...

Reasons why AOS 4 won't be ported to Mac are known only to Ben and possibly Bill McEwen and they are not legal in their nature because if you have a legal problem in a case like this there is always a legal workaround to solve it and Ben would find it in a heartbeat if he wanted to ...

I think you've hit the nail on the head there.

What Ben wants and what the OS4 devs want aren't always the same thing methinks.