Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Coldfire project dead?  (Read 13571 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: Amiga Coldfire project dead?
« on: November 17, 2010, 01:37:23 PM »
Quote from: Piru;592434
...running coldfire code. It won't be anywhere near that when running typical 68k code. Instruction emulation is possible of course, but it introduces huge performance penalty due to exception processing. Even then there are certain opcodes that are incompatible with the 68k, and cannot be patched on the fly. If you instead go for JIT route then why bother with coldfire in the first place, just use faster and cheaper solutions instead.

As far as I can remember Elbox went as far as to actually build a working prototype only to kill the project. I would guess the reasons were performance and compatibility issues.

Of course anyone who actually read the coldfire documentation could easily see that and predict this result.

So how does one explain this then?

http://acp.atari.org
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 02:22:20 PM »
Quote from: Piru;592448
Explain what in particular?

Sorry, I was on my mobile at the time and it's too fiddly to type on it.

The Atari Coldfire team have managed to create a Coldfire based motherboard that runs 68k Atari binaries with no apparent loss of performance or compatibility.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 02:31:57 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;592454
Well...EmuTOS...

EmuTOS is compiled as native-Coldfire code AFAIK, it's the old 68k binaries that are interesting.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 02:34:22 PM »
Quote from: Piru;592456
Well, nothing on that page indicates that. Care to point out any benchmark results in running some actual 68k code?

I'm waiting for an email reply.  As I said "apparently", not definitely.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 02:42:27 PM »
Quote from: Piru;592461
Well, you could as well just ask them how they're going to handle any code that depends on:
  • 68020 multiply/divide instructions behaving like they do on 68k
  • MULU and MULS setting the overflow bit
  • ASL and ASR setting the overflow bit
  • MOVE.B ,-(A7) and MOVE.B (A7)+, changing ea by 2

Will do! :)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 03:14:20 PM »
Quote from: alexh;592478
You still have to pay tax on bounties.

Only if you declare it. lol

I think my own account in the Iranian Tax Free Zone of Kish is safe the from the greedy mitts of the Inland Revenue. ;)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 03:31:46 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;592483
Given how disgusting I think it is that Guidian Osbourne and Vodaphone are for avoiding their due taxes, I'm not impressed by tax avoidance... But I'm not going to be drawn into a poetical debate in the middle of a fun topic about computer hardware.

40% Income Tax for 13 years and then no help whatsoever when you have to stop work to look after your severely disabled wife?

They can feck right off if their having another penny out of me.

[/rant]

Offline nicholas

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 04:07:40 PM »
Quote from: warpdesign;592498
PPC = total rewrite of everything from scratch + a driver for all ppc boards/chipsets
ARM = total rewrite of everything from scratch + a driver for all arm boards/chipsets

I really don't see the difference with x86...

ARM and x86 are cheap and plentiful compared to PPC.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 06:59:19 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;592538
AROS currently runs on:

x86 - Stable, binaries and complete distributions available.
x86-64 - Stable and binaries available.
PPC - Stable and binaries available for specific PPC hardware.
68K - Unstable alpha and binaries available (1meg ROM version only at the moment)
ARM - Beta, binaries unavailable (ask Pavel Fedin or Michal Shultz if you really want).

Once the 68k port is in a semi usable state i'm going to splice it together with Amithlon to replace 3.9.

Then I might see about asking Bernd and the other fella(Sorry I forget your name) to release their code under the APL. :)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 06:28:31 PM »
Quote from: Tension;592852
[citation needed]

If the word of Harry Sintonen isn't good enough for you I don't know whose is!

Offline nicholas

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 07:24:27 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;592861
Flash overhead does not appear to be the problem. OSX overhead would appear to be the problem.
When I try to view a Flash file under OSX on my 933Mhz Powermac its dead slow. The same file when viewed with Mplayer under MorphOS works fine.
The only problem using MorphOS to view Flash files is the the primary browser (OWB) has very poor Flash support and the author (Fab) has stated he doesn't intend to improve it (prefering to focus on html5).

Have you tried the Flashplayer "Square" Beta?  It's much better on an intel mac than the older versions, I assume the same would be true for PPC Macs.

http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashplayer10/flashplayer_square_p2_32bit_mac_092710.dmg

Offline nicholas

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 02:34:52 PM »
I bought my A1200 on the day of release for £399 from Dixons.

No software with it whatsoever apart from the Workbench 3.0 disks and a voucher for a game from Ocean.

@Matt

Do you still have an Archie? If so, perhaps you could send it to Pavel or Michal and see whether AROS performs better than RISCOS on it? :)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 03:24:45 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;593076
Nope, I never had one... Though I do have RedSquirrel emulator on a hard drive somewhere :)

@Karlos... It would be a bit weird... All the old 80s/early 90s machines running an AmigaOS clone... One OS to rule them all!!! :-o

Back like Lazarus! :D

Offline nicholas

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 03:52:39 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;593076
Nope, I never had one... Though I do have RedSquirrel emulator on a hard drive somewhere :)

@Karlos... It would be a bit weird... All the old 80s/early 90s machines running an AmigaOS clone... One OS to rule them all!!! :-o

Back like Lazarus! :D