Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 10th Anniversary Project Petunia Demo PPC JIT  (Read 3591 times)

Description:

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
Re: 10th Anniversary Project Petunia Demo PPC JIT
« on: July 20, 2011, 07:41:47 PM »
Hmmm... never will understand these "Bounty" things... :confused:

If you're gonna write a program then just sit down and do it, it doesn't cost anything after all, so why do people start up these "Bounty" things, I just don't get it... :confused:

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 08:03:13 PM »
Quote from: Heiroglyph;650887
Bribery is a great way to get people to do what you want.

It works in politics, why not software?

Seriously though, I get it.  It's hard work, a lot of time and some of the bounties don't seem like a fun project that you would jump into for the hell of it.

It can be hard work and sometimes it isn't exactly the most exiting or interesting thing to do but I wouldn't ask or expect to be paid in any way for anything I have written for the Amiga or will write in the future... :)

The Amiga as it's not really any longer a viable system whereby you can earn a living from or write software that's going to bring in much in the way of an income, is really these days just about folk writing stuff for themselves (like I do) or for sharing it with the community... :)

I'm afraid when it comes to these "Bountys" I really don't see the point in them... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 02:45:07 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;650976
They encourage people that are capable to do work they otherwise may not have had an interest in. There's been plenty of long winded, tedious work that simply wouldnt have been done if it wasnt for the small monetary compensation. Trident is now open source under APL due to bounties, AROS now runs on 68k amigas with the assistance of bounties along with replacement kickstart along with a shedload of other things.

Personally speaking I like to be able to say thanks with a few dollars when I can afford it too.

I get what your saying, but still have to say "Bountys" just seem like a very poor idea to encourage programming to me... :)

It would be much better I think to write the stuff, then either try and sell it yourself, or via the shareware method. No-one these days is going to earn a living or get rich from writing Amiga stuff... :)

To me if you really want to write something there is nothing to stop someone from doing so and if you don't want to give away your work you can always try the suggestions above... :)