Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga brand name for sale  (Read 11757 times)

Description:

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
Re: Amiga brand name for sale
« on: November 01, 2010, 07:03:51 PM »
What a numptie this Drew Cullen guy must be, describing the Amiga platform as moribund... :madashell:

He's obviously one of those losers who scours the net looking for any little snippets of information that he can comment on without even bothering to check all the facts... :rolleyes:

While Amiga Inc and all the rest of those companies still spend most of their time lurking about in the grey shadows of the Amiga IP & copyright issues and never actually doing anything productive, don't both they and this guy realise that, whether it be in classic hardware form, emulation, or a hybrid system the Amiga community lives on and is far from being moribund...

At the end of the day no matter who owns the Amiga brand name, all that matters is the Amiga community knows something genuinely Amiga when they see it. :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 07:26:15 PM »
Quote from: tone007;588545
@Franko

Buy the name and hit him in the head with it.

I've sent an email to the company carrying out the transaction, asking for a quote and some more details, watch this space for a reply ... :roflmao:

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 07:33:27 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;588549
The Commodore Scotland Amiga! DO IT!

I've already purchased AmigaUK.com, but because I decided to change servers the name is tied up for 60 days before I can access it... :(

But to own the actual AMIGA name, now that would be something, reckon I could have a great laugh with that... :)

(oops... made a boo boo it's AmigaUK.com I purchased not AmigaScotland.com, wondered why I couldn't find it !!!)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 08:10:23 PM by Franko »

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 09:42:24 PM »
@ takemehomegrandma

The company dealing with the sale is called 'Pluritas' and as I say Im still waiting for a reply from them. If it gonna cost me several grand to get the Amiga name and all that goes along with it then I'd be willing to spend the cash on it, as I have a few ideas that I'd like to try out.

Having said that before parting with any dosh I'd have to check out all the grey areas first before deciding what to do. Cos as we all know when it comes to the Amiga the whole subject of just who owns what is very murky indeed.

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 03:54:51 AM »
Quote from: coldfish;588683
Even in its heyday the Amiga platform wasnt a major player in the computing world (compared to, the C64 for example).  Most computer history books barely reference the Amiga platform and those that do spare maybe a page of generic information.  15+ years after the parent Co's demise, people who used the platform for more than games (a subset of the Amiga userbase) might retain some interest, but the rest of the world doesnt even know it existed.

Anyone willing to pay more than a few quid for an obscure brand needs to wonder "why?"

Couldn't disagree with you more on that, why would the Amiga be voted in at no 7 in the top 25 greatest computers of all time, when the poll was held by a company who only sell PCs. If the rest of the world didn't know about it, then how did they vote for it... :confused:

PCWorld Top 25 Greatest Computers of All Time

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 11:43:15 PM »
Strange but I've not yet received a reply from Pluritas regarding my bid for the Amiga IP and trademark rights. I mean I did after all offer them 3 grand and a case of Buckfast, oh well good luck to the Spanish Lesbos then... :)