Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A Simple Question Really...  (Read 3941 times)

Description:

Offline FrankoTopic starter

• Show all replies
A Simple Question Really...
« on: August 24, 2010, 03:36:10 AM »
I would be genuinely interested to know from folk out there what they consider the benefits of using an Amiga emulator or other Amiga set up they have that's not an original piece of Amiga hardware ie: not an A500/600/1200/2000/4000 etc.. :)

I don't want this to become another Amiga Vs PC debate/debacle (I think we've all had enough of that one), but would like to know what you consider the best reasons for using such a set up are, how easy it is or otherwise to maintain such a system, in terms of hardware / software  availability, OS type used and general  ease of use without going into too much technical detail about it. :)

I ask because if you've read any of my previous posts I guess I come over as some sort of die hard Amiga hardware only fanatic, who's still living in the past, as many folk have kindly pointed out. ;)

I would really like to hear folks reasons or opinions on this, after reading many posts from such users on this forum, I am seriously considering giving it a go and would really like to know what folk use and consider the best way to go about this would be.

I'm not giving up my classic Amiga set ups, :) but I am considering dabbling in the dark side to see for myself. :D

Cheers :drink:

Franko

• Show all replies
Re: A Simple Question Really...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 08:57:55 PM »
First off, thank you to everyone for your posts here, most informative and usefull and best of all no slanging match (so far!). :)

I reckon the problem I've had with PCs & Macs is that I have only ever known people who own them only really use them for things like accessing the internet or burning the occasional cd and the likes and they have no idea about what the machine they are using is actually capeable of doing.

The little knowledge I have of PC/Macs leaves me wondering what to buy, I don't know what's the best processor/gfx card to go for etc...

I don't want to buy a second hand machine and if I am going to buy one I would want to be able to easily upgrade it hardware wise. I reckon I wouldn't want to spend any more than about £2000 for a machine at first, as I am still unsure of how much I would actually use it.

I know I said at the start of this thread that I didn't really want to get into all the technical details, a mistake on my part, but if anyone could let me know what type of machine/proccessor type I should buy then this would be very much appreciated.

(Thorham, don't worry I'm not abandoning my Classic Amigas, just reckon it's time I had a look at the other side and do a bit of tinkering around there...) :)

Thanks everyone for all the info you have given.

Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 10:35:10 PM »
Thank you Fishy_Fiz... :)

A lot of info to digest there, but very useful and informative. From the various ads/sites I'd looked at I wasn't quite sure if Intel or AMD processors were better. From your info I reckon Id best go for Intel, don't fancy another mac though they seem very limited in the ability to upgrade them.

Cheers for all that info, it's given me a better idea now of what I need to buy. I learned a long time ago that your as well splashing the cash to start with rather than buying a new basic machine and then spending ages buying all the other bit's n pieces to upgrade it.

Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 11:06:31 PM »
Quote from: runequester;576109
in the end it also depends on what its going to be used for.

Basic internet tasks, office crap and so on. Modest video card, a pile of ram and a half decent processor.

Hardcore FPS games, you'll want the biggest machine you can afford, which will give you a few years worth of computer.

If its going to run windows, toss in some extra RAM for good measure as vista and 7 will both pretty much sink your machine if you try to do more than one thing at a time.

Hi runequester,

I wouldn't be using it for games at all, I prefer the old style games of the Amiga and my SNES R.P.G. games, not interested in all the 3D games people play these day.

The main uses I would have for such a machine would be for audio & gfx, creating/editing DVDs, remixing audio tracks and some D.T.P. and the internet.

While I can do all this from my various Amiga set ups, it can become a bit of a chore at times and I reckon a new powerful machine would be good for the times where I put doing something off on my miggy cos I haven't the time or can't be bothered waiting for my miggy to do it.

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 11:13:48 PM »
I reckon going for the best I can for around the 2 grand mark should do the trick, just needed a bit of advice and info from folk before buying such a beast.

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 09:49:04 AM »
A big thank you to everyone who has supplied me here with some very usefull and insightful information about PCs...:)

Its a fair bit to take in but at least now I have a good idea of what I need to buy and ask for when I go out to purchase one. :)

As I have said before I wont be abandoning my Amigas, but I do want to give a PC a go as I have learned about as much as I can about the Amiga over the past 20 odd years and fancy a new challenge and something different to tinker with and hopefully will find a use for. :)

Cheers Everyone :drink:

Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 06:33:26 PM »
Strange thing, reckon I must be either really lucky or just very careful, but since my first Vic 20 (way back in 82), C64s and various Amigas, I have never had any of them break down on me. :)

The only stuff to break down or pack up are the add ons like CD/DVD drives, Monitors etc..

Am I the only one that's never had any problems with a Commodore machine... :)