Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A word about the content here at Amiga.org  (Read 153875 times)

Description:

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
Re: A word about the content here at Amiga.org
« on: November 30, 2010, 01:23:38 PM »
Quote from: ;202
@Jetracer

I don't know you, per se, so I'll resist getting too deep here, except to say that there are a lot of things you don't really understand, yet are more than willing to speak about in an authoritative fashion.

Please understand that the following is *not* posted as a slam, I'm just very tired after a very long trip yesterday.  I just don't want to leave this hanging and forget about it...

I don't recall the situation you are speaking of, so I can't say whether it did, or did not happen specifically.

Considering the amount of effort which goes into this site, and the fact that it regularly threatens the rest of my life, I reserve the right to overreact.  As do we all.

As far as me being too sensitive, people can think any thing they want about me, and for the most part, I don't care.  What I do care about and will address where I see it, is people either being completely wrong (and authoritative about it) or making #### up about me just to make themselves feel better.  For the most part, outside of the basic human need for acceptance, people's opinions of me are irrelevant.  I reserve the right to defend myself when people start making #### up, as would you, if I started making wild claims about you.

For example, the idea that I censor things at Amiga.org.  Where I don't absolutely have to for reasons of continuity (or cleaning up profanity), I don't care what is said on this site.  Want to trash AI?  Go ahead.  Want to trash MOS?  Go ahead.  

Free speech is welcomed here.  Responsibility is required however.  If you feel strongly enough to say something, be "man enough" to stand up and take responsibility for saying it.  Also be adult enough in what you say to keep from intentionally insulting others.  Everyone has an opinion and they are all welcomed here.  The other people here make up their own minds as to the level of your stupidity in a post.

Some people say that I censor news posted here, and for the most part, that's simply rediculous.  I have stated on about a thousand threads (this one included) that I don't have time to scavenge news any more, so I'm not the one posting any of it.  In the past few weeks, Skippy has been posting more news than anyone, including our staff.

The exception to the rule of censoring news being that we do not post news items whose only intention is to elicit flames, to upset people, and to splinter the already suffering community even more.  I could not care less what the subject is, ranging from MOS to AOS, to DE, to Shawn.  Some things are news, some things simply are not.  I will not allow this site to degenerate to the level of other sites.

As I said, if you have news, post it.  If you don't, don't bitch and whine about it not being posted.  "pitch in, or piss off".  ;-)

I do, out of necessity.  When I do, the site almost becomes stagnant.  For some reason, people like knowing I'm around.

You truly have no idea how much work goes into this do you...?

Thanks very much solely to them volunteering, Amiga.org does have a staff, and I trust them to do whatever's necessary to keep the integrity of the site.  They have all the access they need to squash fights, brawls, and anything else.

I've never gone on "holiday" as you put it.  As the staff knows, I had family issues that I had to deal with.  I still do, but in the mean time, life goes on.

[ Edited by Wayne on 2002/6/30 14:02:05 ]

Very interesting thread this, seems back when Wayne was in charge attitudes as to what you could and couldn't say here were very different from what you can and can't say today... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 02:12:12 PM »
Quote from: Tension;595537
Very true.

If this was a UK site things would be very different.

Maybe you should make one Franko?

@ Tension

It wouldn't work as I'd have to ban half of the "old boys network" on here with their holier than thou attitudes and their beliefs that because they've been here longer than some others, they and their old chums/friends can say certain things and use certain words, while other newer members or those not on their friends list have to tread carefully for fear of getting banned or having infractions placed on their profiles.

But I know what the answers will be to this anyway, it would be along the lines of ,well go ahead as we wouldn't want to join your site anyway and we don't want you here anyway.

You may have noticed I've been a bit more cynical and outspoken in some of my recent posts, the reason for this is quite simple the longer I've been here the more I realise the above statement is very true with some of these "old boys club members" who seem to think they have more rights than newer members and that some how they should be shown more respect beside the fact that some of them are absolute numpties... :rolleyes:

Guess when I'm finally on everyones ignore list I can then happily tell them what I really think about them as they wouldn't be reading my posts anyway... :)

Gawd... I'm turning into a right grumpy old man... :roflmao:

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 04:56:19 PM »
Quote from: CSixx;595580
More like a drama-queen...

Oooh bitchy, I should hit you with my handbag for that one... :rolleyes:

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 05:38:54 PM »
Quote from: illy5603;595583
Interesting read but this thread should really be locked and put back in its tomb...

Yeah... Great Idea lets lock away any old text that's over 8 years old or we don't like or agree with, the bible, the dead see scrolls, the book of the dead, The Amiga RMK manuals, old copies of the Beano etc... etc...

Hang on... Whats that noise... Oh, Oh, I think the Spanish Inquisition have just arrived at my front door.... :roflmao:

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 07:16:38 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;595618
Incorrect and a total misrepresentation of the situation both now and then.

The present moderation rules are actually the same as they were then and, FYI, Wayne was running the place for a long time after that was written. You can say more or less what you want, provided you don't get too personal and you don't use an excess of foul language.

What you have done here is to take a very old thread, 8 years in fact, totally and utterly ignore the context of what was going on in a period you've said you totally missed out and used it to comment on how things are now.

Let me put the post you have quoted in perspective for you. Back then, the community was just starting to tear itself in two and it was a bloody ugly time with a lot of bitterness. Long running fights would break out between different members and most forums, this one included became a bit of a battle ground in which a lot of rubbish, FUD and downright nasty stuff was said by various people on all sides.

However, as for moderation rules, they haven't changed. Just ask any of the existing long term mods.

I wasn't misrepresenting anything, I merely followed a spider that was reading this post and found it quite interesting and simply posted on it to reflect what I see are some major differences in the way the sight seems to have been moderated back then in comparison as to how I see it being moderated now.

And duh.. I know the thread is 8 years old but I don't see any rules on the sight that says I can't comment on a thread that I have never read before just because it's of a certain age.

If you don't want folk commenting or posting on a thread that is so old then lock it and allow folk to only be able to read it. Though I wouldn't understand why this should have to be the case.

As for the community tearing itself apart just take a look at the Natami thread currently running now for example. There are sure signs in there of the same thing happening but I don't see you complaining about that one.

Just goes to prove to me at least, about what I said here in the first place.

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 07:24:49 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;595624
Trust me. The Natami stuff is utterly tame compared to what went on then. Of course, since a lot of posts and threads were deleted, you'll just have to take my word for it.

I do take your word for it, but as someone interested in all things Amiga including the past history of sites such as this, I find it quite fascinating to read through these old posts and I was merely making an observation which I know you don't agree with, but I assure you I meant no harm by it nor did I expect the result to be this.

So the only thing I can do here is promise not to comment in this thread again if that will help... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 07:28:27 PM »
Quote from: Argo;595625
Then the "good old boys" would go off and start there own web portal. Bashing you and your portals members for outcasting them and their beliefs (the one true way). They would revel in their new found freedom on their site saying whatever they want.

Then they would mellow and come to accept other points of view. Tolerating civil forms of discourse while trying to reign in the unruly. The diehard unruly, holding to the one true way on which the portal was founded, will say the the site has lost its way.

Then in the end the diehards would go off to form their own web portal paradise where they can post as they wish.

Sorry I know I just said I wouldn't post in this thread again, but just to answer you Argo, the above reply was meant to be taken in jest... :)

Guess my sense of humour doesn't travel too well... :(

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 01:45:54 PM »
Ok I know I promised BUT... :)

It's kinda ironic, I dig up an old thread from the past, I end up arguing with anyone and everyone and going off in a huff, Tension has a hairy fit and exiles himself to the wilderness... :)

Now everythings hunky dorey... :)

That's what I love about this site, the diversity of humanity and the fact that everyone on it is stark raving mad... gawd I love it... :roflmao:

:banana:(can't be many other sites where you can do this... long live the A.org...) :banana:

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 02:02:31 PM »
Quote from: Wayne;595964
Since we've gone COMPLETELY off the rail here, I've been thinking about bringing back the Wayne Cam by way of video podcasting.  I've been looking at/for one of those Sony Bloggie CM5 type cameras which do mp4 straight to a memory card, but problem is, I'm between jobs right now and it's not the time to spend $150 on a whim.

Anyone got anything similar laying around that they thought would be a cool idea but then never used?

Wayne

I ain't got one thats working (I tend to pull them apart to see what's inside) but if you really don't want to spend the cash on one PM me and I'll arrange something if you like... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 02:38:29 PM »
Quote from: Wayne;595980
I appreciate it Franko, but I was hoping for something functional and digital, even if a little cash was involved.

Wayne, I tried to PM you but couldn't, something to do with your email allowance being full, could you give me a quick PM as I may have a solution to the camera... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 06:00:21 PM »
:lol: :roflmao: :lol:

Drum roll... and the award for the worlds longest post goes to.... :roflmao:

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 06:05:16 PM »
Quote from: GadgetMaster;596125
Darn it! We'll never catch up to him now.

First he has the most posts on Amiga.org and now probably has the longest one too.:lol:

Yup, getting tougher by the minute to beat his high score... :)

Wow just found a neat Amiga site, might be just right for Kesa... :)

http://www.amiga.uk.com/

well at least I thought I did, seems we've been relegated to the the lowly status of Burglar Alarms & Home Security somewhere in the south of england...:cry:

(Hmm... wonder if Kesa takes contracts for a quick hit... :))
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 06:07:19 PM by Franko »

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 06:13:02 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;596132
Hey, at least I reformatted it and put it inside code tags so you should get a regular looking post...

I wondered how you did that... :)

Note to self: Handy tip Number 1001... :)

(good job it wasn't written on paper, or that would be the end of the Amazon Rain Forest...)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 07:38:59 PM »
Time to update this old one I reckon... ;)

The Real Karlos

(cobblers, Photobucket was down for site maintenance now it doesn't seem to work at all...)
(oh... it's back !!!)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 10:58:22 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;596200
Reminds me of when i tryed to buy condoms for the first time     :nervous:

Somehow this one sprang to mind... :)

Kesa buying his first Party Poppers... :lol:

[youtube]PzvveVJgWkM[/youtube]