Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: FYI: Grass not so green on the other side  (Read 4550 times)

Description:

Offline MikeB

• Show all replies
Re: The Grass IS greener on THIS side...come on over! :-)
« on: February 13, 2003, 11:38:05 AM »
@ bbrv

We will be looking for a few *good* trolls soon.

IMO if anything is hurting the Amiga community, it is all the trolling and FUD/Misinformation spreading with regard to rival solutions by supporters.

I am in almost daily contact with poeple from outside the Amiga community, communicating about the Amiga market. One of the most important worries seems to be that the Amiga/MorphOS communities present itselves as trollnests to the outside world. You may think that the mass trolling will be in your short term advantage, but according to my personal experience this is not in the best interest of the whole Amiga community and market.

Controversy attracts attention

I believe it's better to have little positive attention, than to have massive negative attention. As you probably know already, controversy and misleading statements can just as well backfire.

Offline MikeB

• Show all replies
Re: FYI: Grass not so green on the other side
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2003, 12:45:00 PM »
@ DaveP

IMO there was nothing wrong with the title you gave to this thread. It is simply your (IMO completely non-offensive) opinion and this is an open forum afterall.

Look I even said that I dont consider myself
a reporter, or a journalist so tactics that work on
Mike Bouma do not work on me.

Any such tactic doesn't influence my way of reporting or opinion statements. My news reporting on OSNews is pretty objective according to most. Of course, I will continue to state my opinions on forums and within feature articles. IMO every good writer does this, but only combined with arguments for why one has such opinions.

The OSNews team is pretty clear with regard to this. For example you could read  David Adams' (site owner) latest review, in which he tried to underline this.

A snip from his article: "Let me preface this review by dispensing with the ridiculous notion of an "objective" review. There is no such thing. A review is an exercise in subjectivity, otherwise it would just be a recitation of specifications."

So asking people to contact OSNews staff behind my back in order to state wild accusations or point to any bias I may have, like Bill Buck has done so recently in the past, will not change anything on OSNews.