Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Would AmigaOS 4.1 theoretically run on this?  (Read 6417 times)

Description:

Offline mykeled123Topic starter

• Show all replies
Would AmigaOS 4.1 theoretically run on this?
« on: October 19, 2011, 05:34:03 AM »
I was looking at this board and was curious about it. By the way, dumb question... does AmigaOS 4.1 run on PowerPC systems in general, or only Sam4x0 and Nemo. I understand that there is a lack of hardware drivers for the OS, but would it be able to run on nearly any PowerPC system?

That board: http://www.mpl.ch/t2750.html

- Mykel

• Show all replies
Re: Would AmigaOS 4.1 theoretically run on this?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 07:36:28 PM »
lol, I knew it was crap. The reactions were worth it. xD

However, on a serious note, I'm still curious how compatible OS4.1 is with PPC in general. Like I've heard that the Mac Minis are a real struggle to install on. :/ Is OS4.1 only made for Sam4x0, AmigaONE, etc.... or is there any form of generic compatibility with PPC on the broader scope of things? Is PPC standardized in a way that full compatibility IS possible without chipset drivers for every single board?

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 08:15:28 PM »
So, is that to say, unlike the x86(-64) architecture, there is no native hardware ports on PowerPC? O_O If so, that would definitely rank side-by-side with the stupid x86 Real/Protected/Virtual 8086 mode system. xD

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 08:23:37 PM »
Perhaps, OS4.1 would thrive if they took Microsoft's philosophy oncross-architecture support (but would definitely fail with their other philosophies. xD)... Windows runs on "ARM, IA-32, x86-64 and Itanium" [Wiki]. :/ Hmm, does it run on PPC? I dunno. Perhaps Linux is a much better example. xD ...but you get the point I'm trying to express, right?

I just read through seven pages of people arguing over the best flavor of Amiga and the best hardware to support. :/ In my humble opinion, Amiga's going nowhere if we don't stop being selfish and just support as many platforms as possible.

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 08:36:14 PM »
I was under the impression that deliberately limiting supported hardware is Apple's way of selling under-performing Intel systems for at least $1000USD just because they have fancy cases that are horrible to open and void your warranty if you were to try. That's okay, I guess. After all, they have 300 Apple stores worldwide! ..that will charge you a small fee of $85USD /hour to fix a system worth $490USD. O_o

I would personally hate to see Amiga go that route. It wouldn't provide restitution to such a great platform that has survived corporate idiocy and shear neglect.

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 08:43:03 PM »
Quote from: Piru;664113
no

There however is quite large base of fairly* standardized systems: PPC Macs.

*) If you rule out the exotic older systems the rest are using standard components, USB for keyboard/mouse etc.

Thanks for the info. :) I'm sort of referring to things like x86's way of abstracting usb AND ps/2 keyboards into it's 0x60 port. You use 0x60 and you know you have keyboard support (though basic) if one's plugged in somewhere. Also, 0x0000b6 (I think) is a default location in memory where you can directly alter the graphics bitmap.

Is that way of using generic drivers possible on PPC? that's what I'm trying to get at. Does PPC have hardware "givens"?

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 10:44:32 PM »
Quote from: Piru;664123
Where did you get that idea from? You certainly won't void your warranty. Apple even has great documentation how to say for example upgrade the memory: https://support.apple.com/kb/ht1270

Even the manual that comes with Apple computers tells you how to open the machine up and replace the memory or HDD. For example for MacBook Pro 13": http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/macbook_pro_13inch_early2011.pdf (Chapter 3)

hmm, I stand corrected, then. My mistake. I still don't like Apple's marketing tactics. They're just not right, especially now that it's cheap Intel hardware.

Overall, I just hope AmigaOS 4.1 will come to support the main architectures like Windows. I'm hearing though that AmigaOS is not expected to become a rival? O_o

What's everyone's take on this? Will AmigaOS ever support x86, x86-64, ARM, etc?