Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: is the amiga worth going back 2  (Read 5054 times)

Description:

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show all replies
Re: is the amiga worth going back 2
« on: August 10, 2003, 05:31:56 AM »

amigauser17 wrote:
yep i know that i willing to buy and amigaone  later on probley this year but can the classic amiga be hook up to brodband without a pc i got lot of classic games but i can bet it wouln't run all 68k classic amiga games

I would not recomend buying a classic Amiga to expand the hell out of at this point, it is NOT cost effective. If you want to play games mainly buy an old or new Amiga 500. If you want web surfing and all the modern conviences either wait for OS4, or pick up a Pegasos/MOS now.

To answer the question about broadband on a classic Amiga sure it can, my A3000 was hooked to a DSL connection. Cable modem can be done also without a PC, but the cable modem itself should be an external ethernet. Some new model cable modems are routers in and of themselves, otherwise you will want to have a router also. Now you must consider what the Amiga itself needs. at bare minimum I'd say a 020 accelerator, etheernet card and TCP/IP software like Miami(not available) or Genesi that comes with OS3.9. ideally you would want at bare minimum a 68060 with 128Meg RAM, ZIII or PCI gfx card and other upgrades. Websurfing on a slouchy slow OCS/ECS/AGA Amiga is no fun!

So really once you purchase a second hand big box Amiga (or frankenstein A1200) and upgrade the hell out of it to get it modern you have dropped >$1000 easy. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary. If you do go the classic route, Elbox has some neat hardware. There are really too many options out there, Amigaforever for the PC is a neat bandaid option.

If you are interested in a  new A500 look here.

If you are interested in Pegasos/MOS look here and here.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show all replies
Re: is the amiga worth going back 2
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2003, 06:11:09 AM »
what does it come in like of speed eg loading times for applications

Depends on different factors for sure, but faster than any real Amiga for sure hands down.

how fast is the boot times

My system a cold boot is probably ~10 seconds, mostly the bios initializing. Warm boot is ~3 seconds.

how fast is it with winuae emulatin

I don't get your question:-? winuae is for Windows, therefore it won't run on MorphOS. There is a version of UAE for MorphOS though. I havn't tried it yet.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!