Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The DraCo/Dracovision, the first "true" Amiga clone  (Read 10888 times)

Description:

Offline spice3d

• Show all replies
Re: The DraCo/Dracovision, the first "true" Amiga clone
« on: November 27, 2010, 03:51:26 AM »
Quote from: number6;522271
@Gulliver

No list of contributors would be complete without mentioning at minimum, the following:
Douglas Nakakihara - Probably the best amiga manual writer I ever knew

Best? Gosh, I'm blushing! That was a fun manual to write.

--Doug

Offline spice3d

• Show all replies
Re: The DraCo/Dracovision, the first "true" Amiga clone
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 04:30:31 AM »
Quote from: Gulliver;594614
Hi, welcome, is there an anecdote you could share with us about the DraCo/DraCovision?

Honestly I don't remember a whole lot of details--I must be getting old. I do remember getting the unit and thinking it was giant. The part I was proudest of was documenting the RPN editing stack feature. This was probably actually for the VLab Motion not the Draco specifically. (Fuzzy memory here) Originally, it was called something else, but as I started playing with it, I realized it was Reverse Polish Notation. I knew this because I was an avid HP calculator user. I asked them to change the UI to reflect this name change. The German version probably has the other name. I guess they picked the right person to do the manual since this was the core of the effects processing.

I also remember doing this pretty intense video for my daughter and her friends. It had all these video windows flying around and it was pretty easy to do with the Vlab. If you understand RPN it's incredibly powerful.

I also remember that they were happy and surprised that I returned the unit promptly :-)