Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alan Redhouse revealed the impressive future of AmigaOne!!!!! (from AmiGBG 2003)  (Read 13211 times)

Description:

Offline dammy

• Show all replies
by vortexau on 2003/3/31 10:23:55

AOS on x86 would NOT attract applications, any more than BeOS did!
Linux runs on PLENTY of x86 boxes - WHERE are ALL THOSE WONDERFUL Linux Games?

BeOS is apparently making a commercial come back.  BeOS' problem was not that it went to X86 (it actually increased it's user base), but it was preasure of the IPO and desperate jump to embedded OS that lead management to screw up a decent OS.  As for games, what cutting edge games are out for Macs?  If you think just because MOS/OS4 runs on PPC, your going to get games, you got another thought coming.

Do you see a pattern here? Other OS' run on x86 - Developers code for Windows!

And Linux, and BSD, and BeOS, and AROS, and Symbian OS, and all the other OSs (like OSX ;-) .

WHY is MAC OS not on X86? Same reason! Move on!

Hate to break it to you, but Apple has maintained OSX on x86 for years.  Gee, wonder why Apple is spending R&D cash on maintaining a x86 port?  

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline dammy

• Show all replies
by Hattig on 2003/3/31 14:56:54

Quote:
Hate to break it to you, but Apple has maintained OSX on x86 for years. Gee, wonder why Apple is spending R&D cash on maintaining a x86 port?

To ensure a clean code base, and nothing more. It only has drivers for one 4 year old Intel chipset, 440BX.

Apple will never move to any variant of x86, or x86-64.

I wouldn't bet the farm on that statement.  Apple knows it's life blood is tied to the CPU, and the once mighty AIM alliance is now quiet dead.  That means Apple has to depend on hand outs from IBM.   If IBM decides it's not worth developing any futher/faster the 970, Apple is in dead in the water.  

Which would you rather steer Apple towards?  IBM's side project (this is a joke compared to their total revenue stream) or AMD products when AMD stock is at a low point and Apple's coffers are pretty well filled?  IMO, I would rather go the latter, and have the CPU producer by the balls.  No, this would not mean OSX would run on generic hardware, it still could easily be tied into Apple chipsets.

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.