Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What the F***!  (Read 21595 times)

Description:

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
Re: What the F***!
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 11, 2011, 08:08:38 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;605850
You are aware that there are multiple groups doing exactly that, right? And every last one of them has shown as much or more progress as C-USA.

What progress? Show me progress! Show me a AOS4, MOS or AROS machine that can replace my current Win or Linux machine for work and fun or even simple web browsing?

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2011, 08:14:28 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;605859
AmigaOS, AROS, and MOS are already here....and so are various Linux distro's

None of the Amiga related OSes is really worth any serious consideration.

If I had the choice and pretty much unlimited funds, I'd go with Syllable OS.

you know real companies that care about the community already have ...oh wait..ya I just remembered that AI and CUSA don't give a rats ass about that...right Leo:angry:

I'm not Leo... As far as I'm concerned, I'm perfectly happy with any of the mods checking mine and Leo's IP to compare if you're so interested.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2011, 08:17:38 PM »
Quote from: Tuxon86;605861
What I want is the next step in computer evolution, just like the Amiga was in 1985.

I don't think we'll see anything similar that soon. It was far easier, in concept if not in execution, to offer something like Amiga 1000 in 1985 then it is now, in any configuration. Today it's more small steps, but many of them and fast.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2011, 08:18:34 PM »
Quote from: Tuxon86;605861
Why should they replace your win or linux machine?

I sure don't need another device to surf the web, I have enough already, hell I can even buy a fridge with internet connectivity.

What I want is the next step in computer evolution, just like the Amiga was in 1985.

they should be on sale in about 3-4 months. Then I'll show you my C64x gladly :)

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2011, 08:56:08 PM »
Quote from: Tuxon86;605866
And yet your not even walking. You are barely crawling or being dragged by the big boys like Dell and Asus...

And contrary to your beliefs it was even harder to do in 1985 because there was more competition. Commodore had to fight Apple, Atari, IBM, HP etc etc, each one trying to impose their architecture over the other on a limited marketplace (the personal computer market was smaller at that time).

For someone in the know you should learn a bit more about the history of the personal computer before making such remark.

You misunderstood me... yes, Commodore did have a big competition. That wasn't what I was thinking. What I was thinking is that in 1985 the A1000 was a giant leap forward in home computing. To repeat that today is much more difficult because home computing is on a different level all together.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2011, 09:18:13 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;605882
Personally, I think you're giving too much credit to the Amiga when you claim it to be that revolutionary. Apple likes to stake this claim too. In the end both derive most of their inspiration from Xerox PARC and Xerox's over priced $14,000 GUI based systems (which preceded both).

Now all common personal computers use a mouse, have a GUI, and a multi-tasking OS. But that's not Amiga's legacy (or Apple's), that's due to Xerox.

This has to be the most rabidly contentious thread yet. AmigaOS, OSX, Windows, Linux - what's the difference?

That's not the whole deal... Amiga made it available to a lot bigger audience for a lot less money. 14 000 $ in the 80s... you could probably buy a few cars for that then :)

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2011, 09:22:39 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;605886
OK now this statement is irksome.  Most home users do two things: Look at pictures and surf the web.  Linux isn't a great gaming platform not because of the bazaar, but because of DirectX calls and the domination of DirectX over OpenGL.  Amiga isn't a great internet browser because of a lack of a good modern browser and extensions.  I was surfing the net, playing movies in mplayer, listening to MP3s in xmms on a pentium I (not much faster than the NatAmi specs out at) running debian shortly after my 1200 went south.  Most of us oldies have seen the transition.  i hardly game on my PC anymore because the console market is as good these days, and in fact, the ports often go the other direction now (console to PC).  I know dudes who make it a point to use only P1s and 486s even running Win95. Granted, they're freaks :D If you can survive on a 486 for most tasks, you sure as hell could on a NatAmi.

Your average user today browses internet, plays flash/Java games, soon will also run in-browser 3D games(I'm eagerly awaiting Star Trek: Infinite Space :afro:), watches youtube videos... none of that is possible on any amiga(like) system.

But sure, if you're are a retro-user... I agree Natami will tick all the right boxes :)

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2011, 09:25:12 PM »
Quote from: Tuxon86;605894
No it isn't. Quite frankly the home PC market could be considered on its decline presently, being replaced by cheap media boxes, game consoles and iPad, iPod type device.

It is exactly the time to start something new as to restart the fire.

the PC market is actually very stable and PC gaming is on the rise. So no worries there...

CUSA are planning a tablet(maybe even a smartphone, although that may be too much from current perspective), but it will not be released that soon.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2011, 09:29:07 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;605903
WoW..can't you do a wee bit of reading before you post ignorant comments like this

Which part was wrong? Any amiga-related OS has Java or Flash? Unity 3d?

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2011, 09:32:59 PM »
Quote from: Tuxon86;605910
The Amiga 1000 sold for $1,600.00 in 1985, not exactly short change. Why do you think the C64 sold up until the 1990.

The A500 was the first affordable Amiga for the masses.

BTW about the cell based computer, you would not be the first since Toshiba & IBM already use it in their system, and so does Sony. You wouldn't be starting from scratch. There is even already a linux distrib for the cell if you still want to go that way. The fun would be to include a good parallel processing lib with it and watch the interest of the hacking community try to exploit the vast resources of the system. That would be a revolution. Not just bringing back a beige colored keyboard case.

Cell processors found in some consoles are not available on the free market. The end.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2011, 09:38:54 PM »
Quote from: Terminills;605913
Well to be fair Morphos can do flash in the browser pretty well. =]

I stand corrected. :)

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2011, 09:44:17 PM »
Quote from: Tuxon86;605915
PC market is stagnant, and so is PC gaming.

PC gaming is not stagnant... it's actually on the rise, although less so than some consoles.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2011, 09:53:42 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;605928
The cloud is inevitable for most users.  People will pay for convenience and instant access to the web from whatever easily portable device they have.  I watch people every day word process on ipads and google docs.  its here already.  Don;t shoot me for pointing out the blatantly obvious.  The simple fact is that you ARE the freakish minority these days.  When a RTS like SC2 comes to a console and the top world player is some ADHD tweek who can zerg rush with the kinect faster than you can type, its game over desktop.  It just so happens that there are other Freakish minority members as well, the ones who like squeezing out the most of their silicon.  No need to get so weird about it.  It is about the MASS market- and we all ain't in it by a damn sight.

I don't think I'll ever succumb to the cloud computing idea. I like my important stuff to be near me, thank you very much. :)

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2011, 10:38:42 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;605948
The Canadian's have a space program? When did that occur?

They actually do have. And before being destroyed with the cancellation of the Avro Arrow project, Canada had one of the strongest aeronautical industries around.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2011, 10:53:28 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;605953
Well then the Canuck must understand how it feels to see other nations that haven't previously lead this race take the led.
Its not pleasant thinking of Chinese lunar colonies when we have no agreement about the militarization of space with the Chinese.

Well, Canada's aeronautical industry was destroyed in great part by it's southern friend. Many of the very talented canadian engineers went on to work in the USA and some of them gave a good effort on the Apollo project.

As to Avro Arrow CF-105, it was a plane to pioneer fly-by-wire and it's engines were matched in power only by F-22s engines some 30 years later. All made in Canada :) ... Then destroyed because of the political pressure from south of the border

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2011, 12:28:16 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;605981
BTW - What do you think of CUSA and their website? :)

The first one was miserable... This one is much better, but still really not "up there" with the best. But, I did hear that a completely new web page is a good probability in due time.