Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What the F***!  (Read 21598 times)

Description:

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
Re: What the F***!
« on: January 11, 2011, 12:59:07 PM »
Quote from: Wayne;605589
Like I said, the same people who bitched because Amiga Inc didn't actually do anything will now bitch because CommodoreUSA is doing something.

No, it's not rebuilding the precious dead platform, but does anyone reading this thread REALLY think technology that was dead-ended 16 years ago is worth trying to revive?  I say that we should just enjoy our "classic" platform, or even indulge in one of the new flavors if you really think it worth the aggravation of buggy software and "paying extreme amounts for beta-level hardware", but let's stop deluding ourselves about "the future of the Amiga", shall we?

Wayne

Nicely said, Wayne.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 02:34:18 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;605686
yep just like DELL is doing something for PC's:rolleyes: c'mon Wayne a bloody Linux distro...

It's a (new)start... one made necessary because of the outdated-ness of the original AmigaOS and it's derivatives and legal hassles surrounding it.

I would be against C=USA doing anything with MorphOS, AOS4 or AROS. That would be bound to fail from the beginning.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 03:01:29 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;605703
excuse me but a 'new start' with who..the infamous sheysters at AI:madashell:..ah yet again trying to make a buck off the Amiga brand and this time off the back of CUSA

I'm sure many of us would have alot more interest in CUSA if they teamed up with AROS (who like Linux is open source and unlike AI has respect in the community)

C=USA has nothing with AI. Except they licenced the name, just like Hyperion and A-eon... and that's it.

They tried to go for AROS(a mistake in my eyes), they were boo-ed.

The only way this adventure can have a happy end is with Linux as a start/base. AROS is a dead end as long as it is OS3.1 API bound.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 03:17:18 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;605709
You, madam, win. Wonder how much they're going to be charging for their stylish "couldn't be bothered to render with textures, but don't worry, we'll slap a boing-ball sticker on it in production" look on generic x86 desktop hardware?

Amiga desktop cases will be customized... Those Karma Digital cases that you currently see on the website are only the base... As to your possible question of how much customized... From what I can remember, the front fascia will be completely different(no cheap stickers), there's some talk about a keyboard garage like on the original A1000 and there are bound to be some changes inside as well.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 03:29:29 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;605714
Okay, so they're going to slap a boing-ball sticker and a slightly customized case on generic x86 hardware. Whoop-de-doo.

What would you have them to do? There's nothing else anybody can do... even the mighty Apple uses "generic x86 hardware". There is simply no choice out there today, if you want to be a player, you're bound to use generic x86.  But at least they'll be using the best x86 hardware ... Intel SandyBridge :)

And slightly customized cases... sure, in some models. Some will have a fully custom case. And they're starting a new Linux distro with aspirations to make if a fairly custom OS in the future. I think one can hardly accuse them of being "generic"(or slapping stickers), especially for a start-up...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 03:33:45 PM by WolfToTheMoon »

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 03:43:50 PM »
Quote from: billt;605719
Hyperion's success.

Sure... I hear AmigaOS4 devs are rolling in money and apple is trembling with words of Amiga OS 4.2 release... :rolleyes:

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 03:51:41 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;605721
what I have a problem with is someone trying to pass off "x86 PC with a Commodore logo on it" as an actual Commodore computer

Commodore sold x86 computers... and it would be doing x86 if it survived until today, including Amiga. Get over it.

this is purely a case of a company dressing up in the trappings of a once-loved brand to hawk its own wares, which don't even bring anything special to the table

From your point of view, maybe. But again, some may think differently.

I mean, seriously. I like Linux just fine, but Linux is not AmigaOS, never has been, and never will be. I don't care whether you're a devotee of AROS, MorphOS, ClassicWB, or even AOS4 - at least those have some basis in the Amiga architecture and design philosophy, instead of being a "well, uh, we cobbled up a desktop environment that looks like Workbench!" Linux distro. Using that on your desktop? Okay, sure. Selling it as AmigaOS? No.

Amiga OS architecture is a dead end. Face it. Had Commodore survived, there would be none of the original Amiga OS architecture today. End of story. C=USA could have just used Windows with their computers. The easy way. Instead, they're going with all the trouble of creating something custom, if only slightly, at the beggining. And no... it's not being sold as AmigaOS. The naming is not yet set in stone.

And no, you don't have to use x86. There's ARM, there's ColdFire, there's even Hitachi's SuperH architecture if you want. The domination of the Intel Hegemony isn't complete - not yet, anyway.

Coldfire? Are you serious? Sure, ARM I can see being competitive on the desktop market in a few years maybe. The rest is a no-go for any home computer use other then a hobby.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 03:57:02 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;605728
really? why don't you go back and see how well their x86 computers did

that is well known. the fact remains if they had any hopes of staying competitive past 95', x86 was the only way in the future with a possible PPC era like Apple in between.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 04:05:06 PM »
Quote from: spihunter;605730
Nobody will ever know what would had happened if Commodore had survived. Your starting to lose credibility by saying stuff like this.

I know they'd be well past OS 3.1 by now :roflmao:
In fact, by the end of the 90s a completely new software architecture was needed to stay competitive. I can see Classic OS being sufficient(with some upgrades) for maybe a few years past the historic bankruptcy, but after that it's either new OS architecture or hasta la vista baby(again).

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 04:08:22 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;605731
nah c/mon now do you know how much work and effort actually trying to design, and engineer a 'real' new product would cost !...now why would AI and CUSA bother with that nonsense of trying to do some real design and engineering when they can slap a sticker on existing stuff that other people already made:roflmao:

They do not have the resources for that. No one (for now)has.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 04:18:08 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;605743
How do you figure? The Amiga software architecture is stable and expandable enough to where it's perfectly conceivable that they could have stuck with it. Heck, the Amiga had true multitasking more than a decade before Windows or MacOS did.

In 1985, Classic OS was a marvel. In 2010, it's a laugh. By today standards and heck, even late 90s, a complete rewrite of the AmigaOS was/is far more likely to have happend then Commodore getting stuck with Classic OS.

I'm not especially serious about Coldfire or SuperH, but ARM and PPC at least are viable alternatives.

ARM may be an alternative in a few years(for desktops)... PPC is not now and not in the foreseeable future.

My point is that no, you don't have to use x86

Yes, you do. If you want to sell, you need to use x86.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 04:55:24 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;605760
I didn't mean using it as-is in the form of Kickstart 3.1 and Workbench 3.1 :/ Yes, you need to upgrade an operating system as the industry evolves, but that doesn't mean you have to totally throw away something that's fundamentally solid. Even "complete rewrite" doesn't necessarily mean ditching the underlying architecture.

It really isn't as solid as many amiga users make it look like. It was very solid in 1985. By the start of the 90s, it was still very competitive. But by the second half of the 90s, some fundamental changes would have to been made to keep it competitive. Either that or face getting obscure, just like Apple's classic OS did by the end of it's tenure.

No, you don't. ARM has already been used in tons of mobile computing devices (most of which sell just fine) and is beginning to work its way into the laptop market.
Exactly... mobile devices. Tablets and smartphones. Which is something that C=USA doesn't do for now. Once they do, then we can talk.

All of the current-gen game consoles are based on the POWER architecture in one form or another.
Their processors are not really suited for desktop use. And they are also getting long in the tooth by now. Not to mention that it would be impossible to get any of those CPUs in the free market.

The only place the x86 is ubiquitous is in the desktop PC market, and that's only because it provides compatibility with Windows application binaries from previous generations.

Partly yes... but today there is no better hardware then x86 and that's it. It's plenty fast and plenty cheap.

Linux is a fundamentally source-based operating system anyway - there's no reason this project has to use x86
Sure you have other reasons... it's fast, it's cheap and has a clear future upgrade path, not to mention complete market dominance.

other than that Atom boards are cheap and easy to throw into a prefab case before branding it and selling it to someone claiming it's an Amiga.
Amigas will not run Atoms. They will only run high-end Intel x86 stuff with high-end nVidia GPUs, possibly even with water cooling as standard in some models. Also expect 3D gaming nVidia support, Video Toaster editions(RealTek is one of their partners), possible Tesla GPU home supercomputers and so on... :).

All in all, I look forward to it. I wanna have fun... I also plan to contribute some software. They may be even an Amiga app market by CUSA.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 05:03:55 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;605767
"RealTek"?

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I meant Newtek :laughing:

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 05:14:42 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;605771
Okay, my mistake on the Atom thing. That doesn't change the fact that they're slapping a completely unrelated brand on generic x86 hardware that you can assemble from NewEgg for likely a whole lot less than you'll pay to get it with the brand slapped on.

Also, there's a perfectly nice app market already in place. It's called the Internet.

You can always get something like hardware for less when no-branded. Hello captain obvious. :) . But what you cannot get and what I do expect when buying something branded. Quality and testing. And naturally, some people like the brand.

Sure there's Internet. But it's always nice to have everything in one place to ease buying, especially if it's also a community thing.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 05:16:31 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;605774
I don't really care whether they have the legal rights to the name or not - they're still trying to sell a standard x86 PC as somehow being a "new Amiga." If that's the case, the genericlone Pentium 4 workstation I'm typing on is as much an Amiga as what they're selling, and I didn't have to sit around looking at terrible POV-ray renders and wondering how much the distributor was going to charge me for it.

That's tue for the most part. The Amigas, Ataris, Commodores, Aplles... of the 80s are long gone and will never return.