Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOne X1000 booting AmigaOS4.1 Update 3  (Read 19956 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Re: AmigaOne X1000 booting AmigaOS4.1 Update 3
« on: August 28, 2011, 11:46:11 AM »
I would guess that the video was posted purely to satisfy the curiosity of those waiting for any news at all the hardware. I don't think anybody is under any illusion that what is shown exactly represents the real potential of the system.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 07:01:24 PM »
Well folks, you can spin it however you want but it does at least show progress is being made. Not long ago, the hardware was consigned to the vapourware cupboard after the (inevitable*) delays. Then when a few boards were spotted and it was said that it ran linux OS4.x for the board was dismissed as vapourware by many of the same people.

*I've never seen an Amiga-related project released on time since the C= days.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 07:57:13 PM »
Quote from: itix;656532
Hmm... wasnt it booting to full Workbench in that VCF event?

I only saw videos of it running, not booting. I can imagine that booting spits out a lot more debug than once you're into normal operation.

Also, I don't recall clearly, but wasn't that a different (earlier) board revision at VCF?
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 01:34:16 AM »
Listen folks, strong opinions are fine, but taking cheap shots at each other is not.

Quote from: ferrellsl
The site moderators and admins only want to protect their investment in out-dated, overpriced hardware. What a huge conflict ohe site moderators and admins only want to protect their investment in out-dated, overpriced hardware. What a huge conflict of interest here.f interest here.

:roflmao:

Actually, now that you mention it, I guess I did spend a fair amount on my last PC :-/
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 02:44:56 AM »
Quote from: Franko;656598
But a real "Amiga enthusiast" wouldn't be using OS 4.x, a real "Amiga enthusiast" would be using genuine original Amiga hardware and doing everything possible to get the best out of it... ;)

In your opinion, and your opinion is not necessarily the same as the next guys.

Different people have different ideas about what makes an Amiga an Amiga. For some, it's the original hardware and software, or others it's mostly just one or the other. For those that regard the hardware as the quintessential factor, the MiniMig, FPGAArcade and NatAmi are the obvious evolution. For those that regard the OS as the main aspect, then one or more of the above NG OS are the logical evolution and what they run on is of secondary importance.

The only reason "NG" amiga operating systems exist at all is because enthusiasts have made them happen, whether they are commercial (as in the case of OS4 and MOS) or not. I doubt you could find a single developer that has worked on OS4, MorphOS or AROS that isn't or was never an avid enthusiast of the original systems.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 01:53:41 PM »
Quote from: itix;656635
Or is it just that KPrintF() wont return until the very last byte is transmitted to the serial port?

I would suspect that's quite likely. If it used any sort of asynchronous operation that depended on a background worker task pushing out messages from a queue it would be next to useless if any crash caused a lockup as you'd never know with any certainty that you'd got the last few messages and hence what actually caused it.

Quote from: koafdter
I can't think of anything more useless than lobbing a bunch of printf's to the serial port for debugging. That's bush league stuff. The processor has a JTAG interface for that kind of thing.

Yeah but let's be realistic, most beta-testers aren't going to have access to JTAG-based debugging tools, whereas most people can at least shove a serial line into something and capture the output.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 09:31:57 PM »
Quote from: HotRod;656780
Without audio, right? I want audio too. I got a powermac and can even watch fullhd in macos x.

MacOSX != MorphOS

I believe it's fair to say the latter makes more of the available processing power of your typical G4 Mac than the former ever did.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 10:00:27 PM »
Quote from: HotRod;656783
Excuse me but what the heck has it got to do with what I wrote?

Sorry, misread your post as "I got a powermac and cant even watch fullhd in macos x"...
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 09:04:10 AM »
It seems there's nothing like OS4 or X1000 related news to really bring out some people's unforgiving streaks, eh?

Personally, I hope the venture is a success. It takes a lot of effort and money to design hardware from scratch and Trevor Dick is a decent bloke.

And before I get labelled the red camp fanboy here, the same sentiments extend to MorphOS, AROS, AROS 68K, NatAmi, FPGAArcade and whatever other hardware and software projects people are working on.

I find it such a pity people still have to be so monotonously partisan after all these years. Really, sometimes sitting on the fence is the best way. You get to see both fields and don't have to worry about standing in any cow pats :lol:
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 07:23:54 PM »
At my workplace, we have several quad 6-core processor servers. That's 24 cores per box...
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 07:25:15 PM »
Quote from: kolla;656962
It's not unheard of that systems become slower at a certain number of cores, simply because the administrative overhead gets too much.

int p; // A