Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Quake 3 on OS4 Classic  (Read 6042 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Re: Quake 3 on OS4 Classic
« on: March 11, 2013, 09:34:29 AM »
I can run Quake3 on my BlizzPPC/BVision under 4.1. I'm using the ioQuake3 port. I'd say it was generally better than 2fps, but far from playable when there is any action. Also, waiting for the game to load over my motherboard IDE was not great ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcuNR3yyIo4

Performance is rather better on CyberstormPPC. Darren Eveland posted a video of an earlier version of the driver (which suffered some texture corruption issues) and the same demo was noticably quicker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GNtOM3ZLQM
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 11:10:32 PM »
Quote from: delshay;759926
There is a video on youtube showing this game with permedia 2,whatever the limitation permedia 2 has it does not seem to affect performance.

Do a search Permedia 2 Quake 3 on youtube (on a PC).

From my point of view Bvision should be able to do this given it has a fast enough bus.

Peaches and creosote, I'm afraid. Most of the videos for old video cards are shown on Pentium-II/III class systems with AGP cards and vendor supplied OpenGL drivers. 3DLabs AGP Permedia cards were made for CAD and their 2D and 3D drivers were quite optimised.

So, an old 500 MHz P3 with AGP Permedia 2 won't struggle to run Quake 3 (with vertex lighting enabled) in the slightest.

Contrast this with your classic Amiga. Even if you can get the buses and CPU of your Amiga faster than the stock, you still have no L2 cache for your CPU, no DMA texture transfer between system RAM and VRAM, no interrupt driven double-buffered DMA for loading the command FIFO and many other cool things that I'm sure the 3DLabs supplied drivers make use of as standard.

On the Amiga, it's still CPU driven texture transfer and PIO. And it's still sitting below several layers of software abstraction (MiniGL, Warp3D). The entire set up is sub optimal.

I've tried to get DMA working but no luck. I have no idea if it's even possible with the Phase5 implementation of the hardware, for which I have no documentation at all.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 03:19:43 PM »
Quote from: delshay;760093
I don't think L2 cache would make much of a difference. Fast ram access is the highest it has ever been on classic and is not far off sdram performance.

I wouldn't underestimate the improvements a functioning L2 cache would make. Memory speeds haven't increased as sharply in real terms as CPU speeds. My now 7-year old PC has then state-of-the-art DDR3 memory running right up to it's cycle timing limits (which are still better than a lot of RAM on sale today). The CPU still has 12MiB of L2 cache. Assuming memtest86 is telling the truth, the performance gap is still as big as it was back when the 603e was still in widespread use.
int p; // A