Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: FYI: Grass not so green on the other side  (Read 4515 times)

Description:

Offline bbrv

• Show all replies
    • http://www.genesi-tech.com
Re: Grass IS greener on THIS side!
« on: February 11, 2003, 12:52:08 PM »
Hi Everyone!

Please see Post #69 on the "MorphOS Betatester2 Quickstart Guide v2.0 available" thread on www.morphos-news.de.

Thanks!

...and Dave you are right!  ;-)

Best regards,
R&B  :-D

Offline bbrv

• Show all replies
Re: The Grass IS greener on THIS side...come on over! :-)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2003, 09:19:23 AM »
It seems you guys are missing the point...

But first:

@Mike, you know having an intelligent conversation beginning with you are an idiot might be difficult for most to overcome.  I tried.  I not sure that sank in either. Now that I have made the connection between Glaucus and our earlier exchange here I can consider the source more thoughtfully.

@Herewegoagain, you suggested private email and when you receive it you rejected it.  What is the sense of this?  BTW, what do you know about being a CEO?  Have you ever started a Company?  Have you ever managed people?  I am not *aggressing* you, I just want to know what your qualifications are to judge me?  In the meanwhile, if you become a customer, we can have another discussion.

@machinehead, forget the CEO part, maybe we will find someone more able to do that.  How about Raquel and I are busy on these boards because we have over 1 million Euros invested in the Pegasos, MorphOS, and organization we are building to support it.  Do you think we should be allowed to comment?

Have you read this post? :-)

This site is very good.  In fact, with all due respect to ANN and MorphOS-News this site is better.  But, the others can improve and so can amiga.org.  BTW, Amiga-News is a good site too, but evolution is a great thing and they all need to evolve a little in our opinion.  Let us give you some of our ideas...

We will be looking for a few *good* trolls soon.  We will need to populate the sites with active, intelligent, and sharp exchange.  Have you ever seen a 80+ thread on MorphOS-News? Controversy attracts attention -- both indignation and pride of association.  When the whole episode flip-flops at the end, the bashers are left without quarter and sulk away, the *good* guys cheer, and the silent majority moves to the high ground (hopefully where we are standing at the top when it is over).  Trolling can be useful, but personal insults and falsifications should not be tolerated.  Or, set up a special arena where anyone -even CEOs- can say whatever they want without reproach.  Keep all the BS there -- the Flame Pit or something like that -- actually condoning that might not be good either (just sharing ideas and trying to stimulate discussion).  Maybe, one way would be an online duel or the two adversaries go against each other in an online game of quake.  Someone wins, another loses, but the venting had an alternative emotional release than personal insult (where most people resort to when they cannot find anything else to say).  

Lies should be exposed directly at the end of the thread, a commentary should be made and the comments locked.  Another thread can begin (as Wayne has done) and the synopsis can be referenced (like lawyers do with Case Law).  Why waste all that brain power?!  Even if some of the comments were misguided they were part of what created the discussion.  The idea is to not allow ignorance to be bliss.  Example: This thread was initiated by Glaucus who made an outrageous statement about Universal amiga.org Conscription.  143 comments were made from 87 members.  There were five new members that posted for the first time in the thread.  The Troll Ratio was .687 (the Troll ratio is calculated by adding up the total number of posts made by each member in all threads; if they post more than once in a thread they are counted more than once; the total number at the end is divided by the total number of individual posts in the thread.  This number is divided by 1000 and a unit of time.  1000 being some magic number poster number....here is your gold star, etc.).  Anyway, the synopsis would continue....there were excellent remarks from MarkTime, DaveP and gary_c.  Here are the key points: 1, 2, 3.  In conclusion, XXX.  This thread has achieved Gold Status and will be recorded as Thread 276, stardate XXX (hey, after the stormtrooper thing MarkTime I have to have some sort of related remark...)  Seriously, good comments or conclusions should be filed into the library, referenced and available for all to consider.

People are not loyal unless they feel like they are part of something.  Wayne has been very shrewd in creating hooks that draw people back and keep them active.  We would like to see something more along those lines -- something beyond commentary and screenshots.  While both can be very good indications of skill, we would like to be extolling the advent of the website that hosts the development of a DEMO project or a set of leagues for internet game competitions (and if you become a gladiator in that league you get a broadsword icon like Dammy uses (for example) underneath your name.  Picture a South American General's chest...mass multiplayer online games ARE the future.  If we could organize this in games, leagues, teams, we might see some interesting cohesion and a powerful sense of belonging.  Teamwork!

Actually, we need a system to reward loyalty, responsibility, creativity, intelligence and skill.  We are not looking for minions.  We need innovators, creative types, interesting characters, etc (all wrapped up in that team thing).  Wayne does a pretty good job because he is smart, but he needs to have more tools than a six gun -- he needs to be more than a Sheriff.  We can create an environment like this, but it will take smart people to do it...;-)

Raquel and I do not have anything against you three mentioned earlier, there is just more going on here than meets the eye -- think about it. ;-)

Community suggests participation and opportunity, but it also requires responsibility. We are NOT looking to standardize the patter.  You need to understand that.

Here is a message we would like to send:

Dear DaveP (a good example),

We have read with no small amount of interest the comments you have made online in the last year.  We would like you to know that from our perspective you are on of the top 5% of the posters online in the threads we read.  Could we draw your interest to a new organization we are establishing?  We would like to ask you to become a charter member.  Here is what you have to do:

1. Continue to do your own thinking
2. Continue to post thoughtful comments and insight into remarks made online
3. Agree to this code of conduct (example): XXX
4. Help us keep the ship moving in a good direction

Etc....

It is different than a Moderator (in fact -Moderator- sounds like Sister Mary Elephant -- we should come up with some new names).  It is more like a First Citizen.  Think of ancient Greece.  First Citizens can be dubbed Senators when they have contributed huge amounts of effort and intelligence...see where we are going with this...;-)

Anyway, thanks reading this!

Sincerely,

R&B :-D

Offline bbrv

• Show all replies
Re: The Grass IS greener on THIS side...come on over! :-)
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2003, 02:14:53 PM »
herewegoagain Herewegoagain...

Again, you are certainly entitled to your opinion about me and anything else, but just to make sure you don't miss the real issues here:

1.  Eliminate false statements from the list of facts (Miky060 is not a customer).

2.  Demonstrate respect to others: I would like to apologize to you if I misunderstood your personal comments about me.

Starting discussion again....

Actually, you have given us another idea..."common sense" is undoubtedly the English language's greatest misnomer.  Further, your use of CEO and Priest in the same sentence calls a thought toward "perspective." Why do you think the way you do? Where do you come from?  What is your technical background?  (etc. , etc.)  Sort of like your "Account Page" -- WHO YOU ARE.   When understood, it is easier to evaluate an opinion or a statement another makes to be able to better appreciate the ideas/opinions/statements.

This is heavy-duty stuff, but think of it as "credentialing."  THIS IS WHO I AM.  The more you reveal about yourself the better others understand you.  This is the delicate balance between "Privacy" and "Security."  Security should a standard and it should be the highest possible.  Privacy is a choice each person makes.  It is two different things.

Come back to the Community idea...say we have three levels of participation:

1. Blind Pool
2. Chitchat
3. Serious stuff

Anyone can say whatever they want in the Blind Pool -- even Anonymously (yikes, I cannot believe I said that).  Chitchat is what we have here now.  Serious stuff is on a higher level.  Comments must respect the dignity of others, rely on verifiable fact, and be written with an ambition of making a concept or an issue more understood by all concerned.  To post here full disclosure is required.  You can still "troll" you just have to back it up and have the courage to put a "face" to the comments.

Who you are = your credentials.  This is with the authority you speak.  

We actually could do that with a smart card.

Idonotwanttodoitagain, OK?   :-D

We can keep the discussion at this level.  It is better for us.  Please post your ideas.

Sincerely,
R&B :-)

Offline bbrv

• Show all replies
Re: Grass IS Green!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2003, 08:47:03 AM »
Hey!

We think alot of both of you.

Could we bring the focus back to the topic as an example...;-)

R&B :-D