Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "System Volume Information" the inaccessable folder in win2k  (Read 2687 times)

Description:

Offline mikeymike

• Show all replies
Re: "System Volume Information" the inaccessable folder in win2k
« on: November 14, 2003, 02:42:03 AM »
I'm not entirely sure.  Perhaps a loose end as a result of MS attempting to fully implement journalling.  I've gained access to the directory, there's a file inside called 'tracking.log'.

How to gain access to that dir:

Download a util from the MS / windows2000 site called 'xcacls'.  It allows you to modify permissions from the command line.  Use the /? switch to work out how to use the command, give your user the permissions you need :-)

Offline mikeymike

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2003, 10:34:49 AM »
Apparently the indexing service stores it's log there according to computer management under Administration Tools. And I am under the impression that the indexing service is there to aid you when you do a search for a file or folder, etc.
Perhaps mikeymike could confirm this?

As I said, I don't know for definite.  You could be right.  Where did you find this bit of info?   It would explain why my tracking.log is quite small and hasn't been modified since april :-)

Offline mikeymike

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2003, 05:15:37 PM »
Hmm, perhaps it's something to do with the fact that even the first time I installed Win2k, I uninstalled the Indexing Service.  I don't see anything under the Indexing Service in Comp Managment that suggests that tracking.log has anything to do with it.

Offline mikeymike

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2003, 10:41:18 PM »
Thats where XP keeps all its System Restore information.

You might not have noticed, it's been mentioned already, this folder exists on Win2k.  And I've already accessed it.

Offline mikeymike

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2003, 12:05:05 AM »
I was wondering if getting rid of the indexing service was going to free up system resources (ie. run a little bit quicker and free up HDD space) if I got rid of it or would it be negligable as far as performace go or does it matter one way or the other? I sometimes worry about removing something from an OS and it crippling my computer.

It improves filesystem performance and lowers CPU load a bit.  Every little counts :-)

Offline mikeymike

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2003, 11:12:01 AM »
Just kidding there, don't delete anything, in fact, don't even give yourself permission to look at it. The fact that even admins don't have access to this should be a good indicator all on it's own.

Erm no.  My computer, I have full access to it.  It isn't up to Microsoft to decide what files I can see or not "for my own good", because I trust them about as far as I can throw them.  I'm surprised a virus that uses admin privs to hide itself in that directory hasn't been created yet.
Then there's NTFS streams, I'm surprised they haven't been used for hiding viruses yet either.