Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 4.1 Update 4 Released  (Read 9010 times)

Description:

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show all replies
Re: AmigaOS 4.1 Update 4 Released
« on: December 23, 2011, 03:51:31 PM »
Quote from: JJ;672574
This might sound like flame bait given my sig etc, but doesnt really seem to be much of update ??

Given the lack of news in the update (with the exception of bundling UAE and OS3), I'd say it's mainly an attempt to clean up the mess they created with OS4.1.3.

So in a way (provided that old bugs are really cleaned away rather than new ones introduced) OS4.1.4 seems to be what OS4.1.3 *should* have been, but not much more on top of that. But good news to the faithful I guess...
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 06:07:38 PM »
Quote from: xeron;672592
Update 4 was mostly bugfixes yes

Yes indeed, that's all I'm saying.

There was a point in time where OS4.1.3 would be the last stop before OS4.2.0, but after OS4.1.3 there were too many loose ends, to many outstanding bugs that needed to be fixed, hence this quick OS4.1.4 "hotfix" release that indeed is all about bug-fixing. This release obviously aims to be what OS4.1.3 wasn't.

This is a good thing, never claimed otherwise, so please spare me your pointless "oh here we go again" comments.

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 06:16:26 PM »
Quote from: TheDaddy;672616
Nobody shouts at Microsoft and I get updates every day on my Windows machines. I just treat them as updates, because that is what they are, just that. They update major flaws and security holes in Windows. It's not an upgrade, it's not a new OS. ;)

Exactly my point! :)

And Microsoft would never dream of charging money for bug-fixes either, hence they wouldn't market the fact that they don't as a feature... ;)

Anyway, it's a good thing for OS4 users that they could get these fixes out relatively quickly after the OS4.1.3 release. And as a bonus, OS4 users can now use OS3! :)

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 07:24:55 PM »
Quote from: gizmo350;672626
How's that done? Under emulation? I was just wondering that about 30 minutes ago. :)

Yes, UAE with OS3 bundled AFAIK.

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 12:06:55 PM »
(First - I did not introduce MorphOS to this thread, "Duce" did, and I'm merely replying)

@Duce

Well in the news about this release they beat the big drum of how this update is free, "Hyperion continues its tradition to provide regular free updates of AmigaOS 4.1 and with the festive season just days away, this is a particularly appropriate time for a free update.". It's christmas and all, here is a present, etc.

First, this is an update *they had to* release as soon as possible after the OS4.1.3 release, there was no choice there (and since the question was asked elsewhere – YES, you who had to downgrade to OS4.1.2 *must* re-install OS4.1.3 prior to installing OS4.1.4!), and the idea that they would charge money for a bandage  patch, which this update really is, is ridiculous (nobody does that!), and so is marketing it as some kind of Free Christmas Gift on courtesy of Hyperion in this context. Like in "1984", when the news was "Chocolate production will not decrease from 25 thousand tons" or whatever, they changed it to "Chocolate production will increase to 25 thousand tons" and everyone cheered. Spin-doctors playing with words and version numbers. No, fixing the bugs, and doing it for free, is a damn obligation they have to their paying customers!

People sometimes express the opinion that MorphOS is expensive, and sure, €111 can be a lot of money for a hobby. But you also get *a lot* for it, in the case of MorphOS. I have had MorphOS since v1.0, so I have had v1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, and I will soon have 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, etc, etc. I have paid the license cost *once* for all this.

OS4.0 did cost money. Then they charged the *full cost* all over again at 4.1, and AFAIK they will charge the users *yet again* as soon as 4.2 gets released. I'm perfectly fine with that, it's their choice. They want money, and if users are prepared to pay, then why not? It's a free world!

What bugs me is when ssolie, the "OS4 development lead" (Mr. OS4 himself) are trying to make it sound like they would be just as generous as the MorphOS team with updates, when they are clearly not, especially when he obviously has a grudge against MorphOS for *even charging money at all* for the license (along with many snide remarks on the MorphOS's teams work and priorities, how the MorphOS team has tricked the users by not delivering what ssolie thinks MorphOS is all about, etc, etc):

Does anybody have a guess as to how many MorphOS licenses have been sold so far? Must be in the hundreds by now, maybe even thousands? I remember Genesi boasting about how many boards they sold or had given away so there must be a very large base of hardware out there and potential MorphOS 2.x users.
(http://www.morphzone.org/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6285&forum=3&start=0)
Then the whole issue of money popped up when at least one dev said he wasn't doing it for any money. When I asked where the money was going and got jumped on it made me wonder where those payments were really going. Fab was nice enough to straighten me out in IRC the first time but of course I misunderstood amidst the barrage of insults and joking around. It seems Ralph Schmidt is collecting all the money; still no word on whether he is incorporated or whatever. That is kinda important to know these days especially if there is a dispute or something. There would be nothing stopping Mr. Schmidt from just taking the money and disappearing leaving the rest of the team stranded is there? Oh well, I suppose nobody cares about such matters.
(http://www.morphzone.org/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6285&forum=3&start=9)
Looks like about 500 licenses are sold so far at say 150 EUR a pop means Ralph Schmidt has taken in 75,000 EUR which is getting close to $100,000 USD.
(http://www.morphzone.org/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6308&forum=3&start=0)

:rolleyes:

But I digress.

*It is* a good thing that the OS4 users can now enjoy this update that is mostly bugfixes for an OS that really didn't need bugfixes after reaching version 4.1.3, and this totally for free, since charging once and then free is the traditional Hyperion ways, and it's also a Christmas present (not that they were obligated to, of course not)!

:)

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 12:52:48 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;672827
Even the WW1 soldiers on opposite sides of the battlefield managed to have a truce for Christmas.

Now cheer up and make merry, you 'orrible lot!

Yes Sir!

[youtube]o9TGU1QZywc[/youtube]

;)