Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How is OS4 ?  (Read 20713 times)

Description:

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
Re: How is OS4 ?
« on: June 16, 2010, 08:52:08 PM »
what a silly argument!  I can tell you a setup that smokes all of them-my 5 year old P4 with 4G of DDR (not even DDR2!) ram and an Nvidia 7000 series card running E-UAE and OS 3.1 under Linux.  Hmm....my browser is the latest firefox...has the latest mplayer...runs WinXP under virtualbox...in other words, there is little to nothing this computer can't handle.  For the price of a macmini and morph or the price of OS4 and an X1000 I can build a modern 8-12Gb DDR3 12 core ape-raper that can run everything and anything I could care to.  The OP wanted some reasons why OS4 is fun.  He evidently doesn't want to buy a mac and morphOS.  Cut him some slack and save your "My blue e-penis is bigger than your red e-penis" for IRC.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
Re: How is Arch?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 12:40:32 AM »
"Arch is great!  It will install on any 64 bit architecture based on the highly dominant and superoir Intel/AMD processor lines, and also supports the 32 bit Intel processors back to 486.  It supports many wireless cards as well as having a proper TCP/IP stack.  The best thing about Arch is that it runs all your classic Amiga applications blazingly fast with e-uae or winUAE under wine or virtualbox.  It also has the latest and greatest everything the linux world has to offer as well as being supported by a community larger than all the classic, morphOS, and OS4, Aros, Haiku people put together.  You can put it on any name brand pc computer."

The sad thing is that I post this with sarcasm in mind, but the simple truth is that Arch or any flavor of Linux is a bazillion times better than any proprietary operating system hands down with the exception of Windows.  Linux is better than MorphOS and OS4.  ANd it's free.  FREE.  I state this because I am absolutely amazed by the stupidity spit out by both camps screaming about their Toy OS.  Hey, I love minidiscs.  They are DEAD TECH.  Do I wish they had won?  Yes.  Do I think they'll make a comeback?  No.  Is it cool that MorphOS runs on unsupported used Mac computers?  Yes!  Is it cool that OS4 runs on custom build small run hobbyist computers?  Yes!  Would I buy ANY of them thinking "This is it!  My favorite '80s era computer is back!"?  Hell no.  Hands down.  As far as the hardware?  Look at HP:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/12454-12454-296719-307907-4050865-3718645.html

I spent 2400 dollars on a Dell XPS laptop a few years ago.  It was a great laptop at the time.  Now with the same money I can buy an HP that has direct coupling of the 12 DDR3 memory slots to the processor with the potential of 192GB of DDR3 memory.  192GB!  You can run every OS ever made in virtualspaces...twice if you're bored; house every piece of software ever written for any of them, and run them faster, better and more stable than they ever ran on their original computers.

We do Amigas as a hobby, and as a love for something intangible from our youth.  They are our "Rosebuds".  So please.  STFU.  We get that you like flavor X over flavor Y.  But iof someone is going to lay down money on a machine they want to hear the cool stuff they can do with that machine, not take the pepsi challenge.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 03:13:18 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;565626
There's no better example of totally borking compatibility between major versions than libkde* between KDE 3.5 and KDE4 ;)

*shudder*

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 03:48:50 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;565629
I take it you like KDE 4 as much as I do :lol:

:D

My WM in order would be:

Gnome
XFCE
OpenBox
Ratpoison
Cuneiform tablet
KDE 4:lol:

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 07:20:45 PM »
Quote from: pVC;565635
Urhg.. take Gnome to second last above KDE and then it's much better ;)

Yeah, in this day and age, tho, it's about all that's left out of the decent DE's.  KDE is crap anymore.  

Quote from: Karlos;565636
I don't mind gnome at all. Used to hate it, but, like a pestilent fungal infection, it grows on you.

:lol:  that sums it up nicely!