Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Toni Wilen adding PPC emulation in WinUAE?  (Read 28525 times)

Description:

Offline itix

• Show all replies
Re: Toni Wilen adding PPC emulation in WinUAE?
« on: August 03, 2014, 01:24:17 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;770170
They are going for over £40 here for a g5 powermac, double that for a g4 MacBook. I haven't checked these are supported by morphos because I'd need to find somewhere to put it and it's already too expensive to then add the cost of morphos on the top.

I dont think £40 is much money although I would not buy G5. PowerBooks are quite expensive yes considering you may have to buy new battery on top of that.

G4 MacBooks dont exist but you probably meant iBook ;)
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline itix

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 08:44:02 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;770190
That doesn't help. If the cost of the hardware is > 0 in terms of money and space, it's too expensive.

Makes sense. Even if it is free it can be difficult to justify needed space for yet another computer. I have this problem but other way around: I'd like to buy a gaming PC to my gf but I dont know where to put it. I can imagine many potential users are not willing to get PPC even when they got it for free.

Offline itix

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 03:45:55 PM »
Quote from: donpalmera;770664
Maybe they received the information under NDA or similar?

WinUAE is a public document itself so I doubt it ;-)

Offline itix

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 07:18:17 AM »
Quote from: persia;770695
Can we get Morphos to run on it?

Yes it already boots but stops at unimplemented instruction it seems.

Offline itix

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 10:49:29 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;771149
Are you sure about your statement above?  

I read through the thread on EAB and all I could see is that one or two people got the AmigaOS4.x flash screen to show up for a few seconds, before the emulation crashed, froze up, or went black screen.  I have not read that anyone has gotten AmigaOS4.0, or 4.1 for Classic running on WinUAE yet, but maybe I need to read the thread again, or maybe someone just posted some new information today that I have not seen yet.

If you are not running AmigaOS4.x on WinUAE yourself, please be careful not to spread false rumors.  I would hate to see several people go out and buy AmigaOS4.1 for Classic thinking that they are going to be able to run it on WinUAE, only to find out that it is not running yet, or worse that it might never be able to run completely bug free on WinUAE.

It does not matter.

I dont think you are going to see that because running PPC OS in WinUAE has only limited interest. AmigaOS 3 has more software and 68k emulation is much faster when WinUAE is concerned. OS4 (and MorphOS) is just filling small niche there for Amiga users. OS4 is not going to hit big on WinUAE and it is more like cheap choice of platform to OS4 community in the future.

Anyway, it does run on WinUAE, to some extent. As long as unimplemented PPC instructions are not executed in emulation it works. You can boot to full Workbench and run some software.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 10:53:14 AM by itix »

Offline itix

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 10:31:33 AM »
Quote from: F0LLETT;773299
Please try and stay on topic.

Kickstart has a point. It is quite expensive to pay 104 EUR only to try OS4. Amiga Forever is sold at 40 EUR. It could be good idea to create free downloadable version and maybe let it timeout after few hours to motivate potential customers.

Offline itix

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 12:55:13 PM »
Quote from: F0LLETT;773370
Asking the wrong people, talk to Hyperion if your not happy about the price.

I did not ask anything. I just agreed with Kickstart that 104 EUR is quite expensive to try OS4 in emulation.

Maybe there should be a downloadable version, but at the moment there isn't.

Besides its not that much in the grand scheme of things.
Bet you buy lots of XBOX and PS or even steam games. So for the cost of two games, your almost there.

I dont. But you missed the point. Do you buy lots of games to try those in emulation and then throw away if you dont like it? Buy or not, that is the question. It is easier to not buy anything (and I do that often).

Of course, Amiga users are often special and order products they dont even install to their machine.

The thread title is "PPC Emulation in WinUAE" not "why does OS4.1 classic cost x amount".

I did not ask why product X costs Y amount. Nobody is interested to ask that question.

Besides, it is clear that PPC emulation in WinUAE is only interest to OS4 users, mostly. This thread is 90% about OS4 on WinUAE.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 01:11:35 PM by itix »

Offline itix

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 04:35:01 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;773382
I'd like to run my old PowerUP programs without having to dig out my old BlizzPPC

Unfortunately PowerUP and WarpUP kernels have even less interesting exclusive titles to run than NG Amigas. Most if not all games support 68k only systems and in WinUAE the speed is not your ambition to run PPC native tools. So you are mostly limited to PPC demos. Which is not bad itself because they should run better on WinUAE (no context switches).