Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga OCS Demo Won at Assembly 2010 Demoparty  (Read 6662 times)

Description:

Offline Jope

Re: Amiga OCS Demo Won at Assembly 2010 Demoparty
« on: August 13, 2010, 01:09:18 PM »
Quote from: countzero;574498
worked great on me unexpanded (just an x-surf) A3000. Great stuff for OCS ! :afro:

It was optimized to run acceptably on an A3000/30 at 25MHz, which is basically the best Amiga that fits in the Assembly Oldskool rules.

Unsurprisingly, that's the machine it was shown on in the compo.

Offline Jope

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 01:26:06 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;574721
As good as the demo is, the competition rules are pretty skewed if 486 machines can enter and an 040 and/or AGA based amiga can't, IMHO.

It's a problematic compo. It sucks also because a Sinclair Spectrum competes in the same compo against the 486.

The end of 1991 rule was set in the early 2000s, when the AGA/060 was still sort of able to fight modern PC demos in the realtime compo.

What can you do? It's not like we're flooded with oldskool entries at Assembly, hence it's not possible to split the compo into more categories.

Basically this is the best we can do at the moment, the rules have been tampered with way too much already and the competitors try and bend them more all the time.

IMO, I'd much rather kick that 486 out and downgrade the Amiga to an A500 with 1MB chip than allow A4000/060 in.. But that wouldn't bring any more entries to my compo, Assembly is a gamer party in the eyes of the C-64 and Amiga crowds.

Hence no-one will make productions for Asm, the quality releases are always saved for parties with a higher percentage of sceners attending.

Nevertheless, the scene compos will be there at Assembly Summer for as long as possible. Just keep those quality entries coming, preferably for the Oldskool/Extreme compos so I have something to show on the screen. :-)

Offline Jope

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 09:32:47 AM »
That is the general consensus for the definition of oldskool and midskool, but as I said, we don't get enough entries to warrant splitting them.

If anything, Amiga AGA + 486 should be bumped to real wild to compete with handheld consoles etc and oldskool should be pushed back to 8-bitters only.

However your radical opinions have already occurred to others, this same discussion with the same conclusion has been had at length on pouet and the assembly mailing lists. If we change something, one vocal group will be satisfied and another group will became vocal with their dissatisfaction. :-)

There is no golden solution to this for the time being due to lack of entries, and time has actually shown that the most technically impressive demo has often prevailed at the compo instead of the most powerful platform automatically winning.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 09:42:11 AM by Jope »