Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amigas turn to play catch up - new intel cpu  (Read 7271 times)

Description:

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
Re: Amigas turn to play catch up - new intel cpu
« on: January 04, 2011, 12:03:23 AM »
Vote with your wallets, dont buy into DRM'ed products. Don't torrent or pirate DRM'ed media either. Simply ignore the game, song, movie etc. Don't talk it up online, don't rave to your friends about how great it is.
Ignore it and let it die.

If you aren't refusing the machine, you are feeding it.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 12:52:42 AM »
Quote from: KThunder;603656
Voting with your wallet doesn't work, if even 5% refuses to buy a prodect because of drm there is still 10% that is busy cracking and copying it. who do you think they pay attention to. People who ignore the drm will talk it up, and if it is good it will sell.

What we need to do is what we did with Bioshock, complain the heck out of it till the publisher realizes they need to take legitimate customers needs into account. Piracy, drm circumvention etc. won't do that, it will only make things worse.

The music, games, and movie industries are slowly finding ways to make things better. I buy movies many times that have digital copy for example. Is it perfect, no, but it is getting better. Most companies are interested in legitimate customer complaints.

I think you are actually saying some of the same things I was, namely that pirating the game still promotes it. I wasn't advocating piracy at all.

The usual outcome at least for games seems to be that the company eventually makes the DRM ever so slightly bad, and people cheer and feel they won.

Corporate conclusion: Games with DRM sell just fine, we can always give them 2 more activations when they start complaining.

Not sure if there's a real solution under the current model. Effectively right now, we have a setup where people (60% of the user base for applications, likely closer to 10% for games and music) pay for media because they chose to do so.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 01:12:45 AM »
Quote from: KThunder;603661
No, I didn't think you were promoting piracy, that is what some people see as a solution though. The thing is I don't thnk drm is going anywhere. What we will see is a period where we and they air the problems and a solution that takes everyones right into account will eventally evolve.
significant missteps like sony's securom and the lawsuits surrounding it help us iron out the (many) wrinkles, and legitimate grievances we have.
most companies realize that we are were thier income is coming from and do react to consumer pressure just like bioshocks publishers did. Most of peoples complaints disapeared when 2k games tweaked thier drm because of customer input.

I do agree if you want to partake in most media these days, you have to decide what level of DRM are acceptable for you. Most people seem to put things like Steam at one end, with invasive rootkits or similar things (Starforce) at the other end.

Commercially, its a balancing act between both extremes.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 03:27:45 AM »
Quote from: KThunder;604224
I like the new Dr. Who on BBCA thats pretty good.

I hope the stupid reality and talent crap is just a fad that will go away soon, but I doubt it.

Unfortunately, it'll be here past the robot apocalypse, when our titanium raygun overlords will vapourize it all.

The problem is that reality and talent shows are absurdly cheap to make, so its basically free money for the networks.