Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The DraCo/Dracovision, the first "true" Amiga clone  (Read 10887 times)

Description:

Offline jaesonk

• Show all replies
Re: The DraCo/Dracovision, the first "true" Amiga clone
« on: November 12, 2010, 06:41:10 PM »
There's still an Amiga VLabMotion & DraCo group on Yahoo:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amiga_vlabmotion/

DraCo can run AmigaOS3.9:
http://www.cash-multimedia.com/ms5.html

DraCo is the only Amiga device/clone/whatever that supports Firewire.  It was available as an add-on board.  I can use HD cameras with my DraCo.  HD camera downconverts to SD, connect to DraCo via Firewire and get a very high quality image.

DraCo was expensive but so was the VideoToaster/Flyer once you added all the pieces to make it usable (Amiga box/accelerator card/TBCs/etc).  DraCo & MovieShop offered much more than the Digital Broadcaster NLE.  The MovieShop NLE has essentially unlimited tracks of video & audio, fx, titling, etc.  MovieShop is Avid-ish.  With the multi-play feature, I can play up to 6 synced clips in a window and click the ones I want as it plays in realtime, from there it creates a basic timeline with my edit decisions.  It's like a virtual switcher.  Great for multi-camera coverage of events.

Video partition size on DraCo isn't limited as it was on the little brother VLM.  I have 180GB SCSI drives in my DraCo.  Partition it large or small.  I'm not sure if Toaster/Flyer had size limits.

DraCo works with USB cards & ethernet.  It has a ZII bus.  The other expansion bus is the custom DraCo bus, which is faster than Z3, but only supported by MacroSystems custom DraCo cards.  

I have used multiple display cards on my DraCo with CyberGraphX.  I can have MovieShop on one monitor and Monument Designer open on a 2nd monitor.

If I render something more complicated on my Mac, I can export a JPG stream of images to an ISO9660 DVD and then read that on my DraCo into MovieShop.

The DraCo Cube is slightly faster than the Tower version.

AmigaOS 4 is sadly missing video editing capabilities.  Even a direct port of MovieShop to OS4, without any new features, would be a big improvement and enticement for running OS4.  You'd have to work a way around the custom hardware though.

Offline jaesonk

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 07:03:17 PM »

Offline jaesonk

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 11:13:06 PM »
Cassie Classic is probably cheaper to acquire than a DraCo.  They seemed to me to be more of an easier to use DraCo-lite targeted at consumers rather than a higher end market.  After stepping onto the scene with the expensive DraCo, it'd make sense to try again with a lite version that was less expensive.

What's the Cassie Classic look like on the inside?  Anyone have pictures?  Are any chips compatible with the DraCo?  Could be a source of parts.

Anyone have documentation for the DraCo expansion ports/sockets, like the socket for the DEC-ALPHA accelerator?

Offline jaesonk

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 06:08:13 AM »
You can't install the regular Amiga OS3.9 on a DraCo, or OS3.5.  DraCo requires special patching for OS3.9 or OS3.5 installation.

Offline jaesonk

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 03:07:16 AM »
Quote from: magnetic;592101
Hey guys

Just so you know I'm selling my Uber Rare DraCo VISION Cube with DV Module and hundreds of gbs of space! (hours and hours of video) Has a nice

Thanks

Are you posting it to ebay?  
How many drives installed?  What sizes?
How much memory is installed?
What version of MovieShop?
Original install disks & manuals?