Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS: Public Release of MorphOS 3.6  (Read 12585 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
Re: MorphOS: Public Release of MorphOS 3.6
« on: June 28, 2014, 12:38:54 PM »
@ Jeff
The 2.3 Ghz G5 with PCI-X slots is currently the most powerful air-cooled model available.

@ AmigaDave - Did you try an R400 card yet? Johannes Genberg in Stockholm (Yasu on MorphZone) has been beta testing the driver and let me know a few weeks ago that it had been finalized.

@ TeamBlackFox - Just hold on to your 2.5 GHz Quad. Support is rarely announced ahead of time (except for rare exceptions like the SAM460 - which probably shouldn't have been mentioned since all its done is generate constant comments about the delays), but support for PCI-e G5s seems like a natural next step.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 08:24:05 PM »
Quote from: Alexco;768202
Seems like a nice release, but still no sound on my Apple Digital Audio G4. And still no support for my USB C-Media audio device. Not useful for me…

I'm baffled why you wouldn't just install a SoundBlaster Live.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 04:33:12 AM »
Quote from: jdryyz;768243
This release has been the best so far with my Mac mini G4. No more of those bsdsocket errors. I have it hooked up to a nice 1900 x 1200 display and have finally got my fonts sorted out. The OWB browser is very nice also.

The hardware support still impresses. Is there any hope that Nvidia cards will get some love some day or is that simply out of the question?

I believe my PowerMac G5 A1117 model will be added to the hardware list at some point but that won't matter since I have an Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX installed. It took a while to find one of these and I had to hack the ROM myself.

My guess is that if that model is eventually supported that you are going to have to switch over to a Radeon X1900GT.
I doubt Nvidia cards will ever be supported.

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 04:48:56 PM »
Quote from: Alexco;768255
Why should I? The on-board sound is listed as supported, so it should work. But it does not. Seems that MorphOS team and I have different definitions of "supported". And despite the fact that this issue is reported quite often the only help is "buy a SoundBlaster". No other hints, tricks, debug support (fill in the rest), only this solution: "buy".

And by the way, I have a ATI 9800pro with a big fan blocking one PCI slot and all other slots are equipped with USB 2.0 and a SATA controller. So there is no place for a SB Live.
So why should I buy the card or even MorphOS (despite the fact that I really like my MOS 1.4.5 on my Amiga4000)?

Your explanation makes sense.
If it is listed as supported, it should work.
SB Live cards ARE cheap, but you obviously can not fit one in (without changing your video card cooler).

Hopefully a developer will address your sound issue.
Try bringing it up on MorphZone.

Personally, I'd find a single slot video card, place a low height USB card next to the video card, and install a sound card.