Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Will this work?  (Read 10470 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
Re: Will this work?
« on: March 25, 2011, 12:13:23 PM »
Yep, its not a matter of whether not not it has an AGP slot or ATI graphics, iMacs aren't supported under MorphOS.
On the other hand, Franko's right, its not a bad OSX machine (or Ubuntu for that matter).
See if you can upgrade to at least OSX 10.4 (Nicholas and Franko both have points here, 10.5 is better but you're going to need 10.4 at minimum).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 04:22:20 PM »
Quote from: tone007;624533
Actually, it is a bad Ubuntu machine, last I tried (and I seem to recall Franko trying as well) 10.04 and 10.10 didn't work on it, at least not without a lot of trouble.

That's surprising since those releases run fine on a 733Mhz Powermac.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 04:23:55 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;624556
You should sell both of them and get a G4 Tower with a Radeon to dual boot MorphOS and Leopard. :)

Keep the G5, sell the other. Then follow Nicholas' recommendation.

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 04:25:37 PM »
Quote from: Franko;624571
Still very interested in buying one but I'll have to wait (like everyone else) and see what the final specs are when it gets released, if it runs OS4.x it should be ok but if it's running MorphOS then I doubt I'll be buying one... :)

Again though being in a tower is not ideal for me with all my VIC20s, C64s, SNES & Amiga's taking up so much space already, reckon the NatAmi when it gets released will be better suited for me and to be honest more my type of machine ie: 68K... :)

Franko, its been repeatedly stated that MorphOS won't be ported to this. And why would that affect your decision to buy an AOs4 PPC based computer?

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;624579
I thought you didn't like OS4?

I don't care for it much either these days, it's rapidly becoming a poor Linux clone with less compatibility for Amiga software than MorphOS.

Apparently he doesn't like OS4 or MorphOS, Nicholas.
Personally, I secretly suspect Franko actually likes OSX.

And I don't understand the posts about an 800Mhz iMac running Ubuntu or OSX 10.5 poorly as I've run both on more primitive equipment (although Franko may be right about 10.4 being better suited to slower hardware).

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 06:39:10 PM »
Quote from: Franko;624602
Sorry don't understand your question :confused:

@ nicholas

I don't like OS4 on a real Amiga with a PPC card cos it's slower than a dead donkey (although Karlos tells me it's ok if you have a GFX card)... :)

But, if the X1000 is built to handle OS4 and has good enough specs on it's final release then it should run OS4 at it's best... (I hope) :)

MorphOS even though Iggy has pointed out it wont be used on the X1000 is after much mulling over by myself not for me mainly due to the silly Licence you have to buy for it, far too restrictive in my opinion... :)

The MorphOS license restriction complaint is valid. When I build a new PC I can move my copy of Windows to it, but with MorphOS I have to buy another key.

Franko, you DO have a point.

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 07:03:11 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;624629
Hack what exactly? There is nothing to hack.

When you buy the hardware to replace the broken hardware a new OS4 license comes bundled with it. Which will make you the owner of one broken board, one working board and two fully paid for licences of OS4.

What are you going to do with the second license?

Sell it? To who? For what purpose? All "designed for OS4" boxes come bundled with a license whether you want one or not?

That is an interesting point. I doubt the copy they ship with each board is generic. Meaning you probably can't use a CD copy of AmigaOS4 that was shipped with your SAM to install AOS on your Pegasos or original AmigaOne XE.

At least with a MorphOS license, if the original hardware fails you can ask the developers for permission to move to a new system. And if you buy a new system, you can sell the old one with its MOS license.