Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Coldfire project dead?  (Read 13518 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
Re: Amiga Coldfire project dead?
« on: November 17, 2010, 05:04:48 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;592499
ARM and x86 are cheap and plentiful compared to PPC.

Yes, both are cheap and plentiful. However, both require a total rewrite of the OS.

PPC s are already supported by two OS' and there is a small, but growing, library of software.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 12:13:22 AM »
Quote from: Tension;592630
@ Bloodline & Trekiej

From yesterday:
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=592136&postcount=11

Good God! Are we back to Octamed again? Nicholas claims it run on a Pegasos under Amiga OS 4.1.
So, at least for your use, a PPC based system makes sense.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 12:26:01 AM »
Quote from: Tension;592639
58 goto 52

Amiga.org the new infinite loop.

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 05:27:36 AM »
@ Amiga_nut

you have a very apt handle

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 04:24:23 PM »
Quote from: Franko;592806
Holy crap... :eek:

Sorry for butting in here, but I'm totally amazed, I've got this old G5 up and running and it's wireless, I've even seen moving pictures on You Tube (not slide shows that I was getting on the G4) you can even scroll the window while a videos playing and Im sitting here in my kitchen on the internet...

Wow never knew you could do such things on a computer,  aren't these new fangled computers amazing... :)

Well Im off to see what other amazing things this can do... :)

Sorry, but I just had to tell someone... :D

Glad to hear that the G5 turned out to be a worthwhile purchase. It is amazing what a reasonably powerful computer can do, isn't it?

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 07:21:43 PM »
Quote from: Daedalus;592860
That's it, and newer versions of Flash have ended up even slower on PPC Macs. And the sad thing is, the actual video itself would be perfectly playable most of the time on either PPC Mac or 500MHz PC if it weren't for the Flash overheads.

Flash overhead does not appear to be the problem. OSX overhead would appear to be the problem.
When I try to view a Flash file under OSX on my 933Mhz Powermac its dead slow. The same file when viewed with Mplayer under MorphOS works fine.
The only problem using MorphOS to view Flash files is the the primary browser (OWB) has very poor Flash support and the author (Fab) has stated he doesn't intend to improve it (prefering to focus on html5).

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 07:42:07 PM »
Thanks Nicholas, even though I don't use OSX that often I'll look into.

BTW - The Black Book you're referencing is pretty cool.

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 07:58:40 PM »
Quote from: ppascal;592864
Stop bashing OS X, please read:
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/04/14/chronicles-of-conflict-the-history-of-adobe-vs-apple/

It's not Jobs fault that Adobe laughed at his PPC/OSX, when Apple struggled to get back to mainstream with this new platform.

And, maybe play the same file with Mplayer under OS X. Ever tried?

As much as I am Amiga/68k fanboy, can't stand bashing mac os x without reason :-).

Regards, ppascal

Sorry ppascal,
That article is written in a most annoying style (let there be light - and then there was Apple - and it was good).
Its also clearly biased toward Apple (and I am NOT an Apple fan).
Jobs has always been a control freak (whether its his IP or not to control).
And Apple is not alone in this regard, Microsoft is just as guilty of trying to control all aspects of its OS (what work or doesn't - what is compatible or isn't).

Not that I don't favor a more open solution (like html5), but what we're seeing isn't as much Apple bashing as it is Adobe bashing.

We'd both admit that it should be possible to view Flash files on a PPC system, but I'm not sure that that failure rests soley at Adobe's feet.

@ Daedalus
That is close to how I'd view the problem (Apple limiting acceleration). But why do other video formats (still w/o acceleration) work?
I know people that are viewing 720p video files on G4s running MorphOS. So why is Flash a problem and why is it only some programs that can display Flash (not all of them)?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 08:03:36 PM by Iggy »

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
Quote from: Amiga_Nut;592893
My only point was that writing OS4 to support every single x86 laptop launched in the last 10 years say would be a bigger driver programming project than doing the same for Apple laptops too.

As stated above I'm not even interested in OS4 any more, that boat has sailed for me, I don't want SAM and I don't want x1000 to drain my finances either, not value for money. Neither do anything for me now and I have completely lost interest and decided if there isn't a Paula chip on the motherboard it ain't an Amiga to me anyway :)

But I do agree with a lot of people who were pissed off about not getting OS4 onto PPC Mac minis, it was halfway there anyway wasn't it?

Absolutely valid point about X86. What hardware do you support? Obviously, it would be nearly impossible to support all X86 hardware. Then there's the time lag in getting the port done. All the while the OS is becoming less relevant.

And who know why OS4 support for the Mac Min i was never released? Maybe Hyperion figured there was more money in selling hardware and software together? But that doesn't make sense since to number of copies of their OS sold would be lower than if it ran on a low cost system.

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 06:55:28 PM »
Has anyone ever told you people that you're intensely strange?

I grew up with Star Trek geeks.
Watched most of my adult life as they contested with Star Wars geeks.
And since before I was born, there's always been Lord of the Rings geeks (at least they read).

So how many of those three categories do each of you fit into?

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 08:13:55 PM »
Quote from: EDanaII;593113
"I am but geeky north northwest. When the wind is southerly, I know an Amiga from a Black and Decker."

Now that I've paraphrased Shakespeare, does that make me a Shakespeare Geek?

Or does it mean I was using Shakespeare in a somewhat cheeky fashion?

No...that's pretty cool actually. Although it probably throws you in the last catagory (since you obviously do read).

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 08:21:01 PM »
Quote from: tone007;593121
I'm not a geek, I'm a cool dude.

Sorry, amend the term 'geek' to 'fan'.
Although ever since the Big Lebowski, I'm not too sure about the use of the term 'dude'.