Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Open Office on Amiga  (Read 2996 times)

Description:

Offline Seehund

• Show all replies
    • http://AmigaPOP.8bit.co.uk/
Re: Open Office on Amiga
« on: December 12, 2003, 03:37:23 PM »

jeffimix wrote:
I thought since their are threads on Amigaworld and Amiga Inc's forums,

Figures. I bet wrongpla.net had it as well...

Would be kinda funny with an office suite that's much bigger and much more complex than the operating system(s) you're talking about porting it to... :) Especially when those OS's have had quite a few years of payed work by professional programmers put into them.
[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......

Offline Seehund

• Show all replies
    • http://AmigaPOP.8bit.co.uk/
Re: Open Office on Amiga
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2003, 03:54:28 PM »

mikeymike wrote:

OpenOffice and Mozilla (or derivatives) are the most important apps that should be ported to AmigaOS/compatibles.  They provide the 'stepping stones' for any Windows/Linux/Mac user to think about going for AmigaOS/compatibles, something that is familiar to them, and they know satisfies their needs.  They may then decide to try out a more AmigaOS native set of applications afterwards, and they still have that fallback solution.  This is average users or techies I'm talking about.

I agree that having these specific apps/suites would provide extra "stepping stones", but I think providing any equivalent solutions to "stumbling-block" problems would work almost as well.

Problem: People want to work on MS Office files, do the same things as they can do with MS Office, and share their work with MS Office users. People want to browse the web with a browser that supports modern standards.

Solution: OO.org and Mozilla -- or whatever that will solve the problem. The name recognition and familiarity of Moz/OOo would be bonuses.

I'm afraid I don't see ports of Moz/OOo as realistic options. What's worse, I'm pessimistic about alternatives as well, at least AmigaOS/MorphOS specific ones (or originating as such).

I don't know how well Papyrus (is that a complete suite (yet)?) stands up against "lighter" open source things like AbiWord, Gnumeric et c.
[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......