Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amigas turn to play catch up - new intel cpu  (Read 7261 times)

Description:

Offline ElPolloDiablTopic starter

• Show all replies
Amigas turn to play catch up - new intel cpu
« on: January 03, 2011, 03:20:14 PM »
Intels new cpu includes media encoding called quick sync as a co-processor on the cpu. The benchmarks are jawdropping (to me at least). See this page:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandy-bridge-core-i7-2600k-core-i5-2500k,2833-5.html

If Amiga were around today we'd want to see co-processors like this. If only they could make the system adapt and use cpu die graphics for one thing and save the graphics card for heavy tasks (at the same time).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 03:39:13 PM by ElPolloDiabl »
Go Go Gadget Signature!

• Show all replies
Re: Amigas turn to play catch up - new intel cpu
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 06:30:15 PM »
I think they are quite good with movies. Itunes is expensive and I won't touch that.
Unintrusive drm doesn't bother me. I can and will download 10 movies overnight and watch them the next day. I then feel obligated to buy the ones I liked. I think the problem is when you get treated like sheep/schmucks...
Like intel selling a CPU that can be unlocked for more power if you pay the money and get the unlocking code.
How about cable tv with ads as one more thing to complain about.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

• Show all replies
Re: Amigas turn to play catch up - new intel cpu
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 11:15:52 AM »
All the more reason for Amiga OS to move over to x86. Amiga was designed as a desktop OS.
I'm not sure if you could poach a lot of AROS to speed up the process. Let's suppose it takes ten years... In ten years PowerPC (available to us) might advance one more generation, but x86 will advance probably six generations.
A computer is your entry point to the digital world, it would be nice to have a nice operating system to put on it.
It actually doesn't bother me if the two PowerPc OSes never come to x86, AROS seems to be gaining momentum and Windows is looking very one dimensional in it's approach. We may look back at this time, "That gawd awful Windows era."
Go Go Gadget Signature!