Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Total Amiga NEWB  (Read 1812 times)

Description:

Offline 8bitugy1Topic starter

• Show all replies
Total Amiga NEWB
« on: March 01, 2009, 12:30:37 AM »
So I've had this A2000HD sitting in my closet for awhile...and I've just set it up and it seems to work good, but I"m not sure of how to use it....or what it can do.  I do know its got a hard drive, SCSI CD-ROM and 6MB Ram.  I put in an audio CD and though it shows a nice file listing, it doesn't play them or I can't make it go in anycase...so a few questions...

1) Will it play Audio CD's.
2) Is Kickstart 40.63 current or close to it?
3) same question for WB 40.42 and 3.1Rom
4) What are the general recommended upgrades for this thing?
5) The desktop seems bland, any way to change that?

I think its fair to start with that...I've been looking around this site but I can't seem to find much newbie material...if someone can point me to it...that'd be great (I don't mind doing my own homework).

• Show all replies
Re: Total Amiga NEWB
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 01:20:43 AM »
Well that will definitely get me started...Thanks.

Couple of follow ups...how do I transfer files from my PC to Amiga....

And my HD is really small 30 Megs...can I easily put a New SCSI drive in? (I'm not worried about keeping any data on the existing drive).

• Show all replies
Re: Total Amiga NEWB
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 02:04:55 AM »
Yup it's internal.  I put in a CD with PC Files on it, just to see if I could pull a directory...and though the system pulled the name of the disk, the files didn't show up....but they are all in sub directories...perhaps they can't be?

I'm so new at this...lol.  But its fun.  (I'm a whiz with the 8-bit's....Atari mostly).  Okay so no, I do not have any Accelerator or Graphics cards...please make suggestions...

Ultimately...I'd like to use this for games mostly, but I'm a spreadsheet addict and I'd like to play around with whatever spreadsheets exist for this thing too...  Being as its games mostly though, any recommendations on keeping the compatability would be helpful.  I do have a A500 as well.

Thanks for everyone's help thus far...I'm sure I'll have more questions too....