Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AMD system with Amiga Forever 6  (Read 8720 times)

Description:

Offline Thomas

Re: AMD system with Amiga Forever 6
« on: July 20, 2004, 12:14:37 PM »

No, it won't be fun. You can boot from the CD, yes, but everything is write protected, you won't even need a HDD as you cannot write to it anyway.

It is much more fun to use it on Windows as you can combine the good parts of both worlds this way.

Bye,
Thomas

Offline Thomas

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 03:58:10 PM »

Trezzer wrote:
@Thomas:

Good parts? Windows? That does not compute.

Well, good in the meaning of "you need it to use a certain service". For example play radio streams using RealPlayer. Most popular radio stations in Germany don't offer mp3 streams, so AmiNetRadio is of no help here. There are more examples. However, I use WinUAE for most of my needings.

Also with WinUAE developing is more fun because in case of a crash the reboot is much faster than on a real machine. It just does not have to reset all the hardware (there is no hardware).

Bye,
Thomas

Offline Thomas

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 10:03:10 AM »

Everybody has to see what is good for him. For me one niche system is enough. If I have to use another system to complement my possibilities, I'll choose the mainstream system.

Bye,
Thomas

Offline Thomas

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 01:29:44 PM »

Well, AF6 is in no way an OS.

Yes, you can boot from the AF6 CD. But the OS which boots is Knoppix (Unix). The boot process then loads UAE, which is not a window manager but still an emulator. The emulator pretends to be Amiga hardware and the pretended Amiga hardware loads AmigaOS as if it was running on real Amiga hardware.

The same is true for WinUAE: AmigaOS runs on WinUAE which runs on Windows which runs on real hardware. With the only difference that WinUAE does not start automatically. But this can be configured.

AF6 also contains a complete AmigaOS installation and a beautiful looking launcher.

Bye,
Thomas

Offline Thomas

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 04:09:57 PM »

Then your opinion is wrong. WinUAE forms the best, fastest and most compatible high-end Amiga there is. It is real fun using it, much more than a real Amiga. AmigaOS4 and MorhpOS are catching up, but they still need time.

Bye,
Thomas

Offline Thomas

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 06:35:22 PM »

You don't need WinUAE (it is UAE, not EAU). AmigaForever contains WinUAE. Mainly it is a preconfigured and preinstalled WinUAE.

AF contains all AmigaOS files which is needed to emulate an Amiga. And it contains emulators for several host OSes.

WinXP is the best choice to use AF.

You can also use it with Linux.

You can even use it with MacOS.

And you can use it without OS if you are happy with the preinstalled Knoppix. It cannot write to HDD though.

Windows is the best choice because AF was designed to be used with Windows. You can install AF to HDD and it is all ready to run. Just start the launcher, choose the configuration and WinUAE ist started which immediately boots into AmigaOS.

Bye,
Thomas

Offline Thomas

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2004, 06:26:39 PM »

Trinity wrote:
@ Holley:
 only in general use ... but not in or with Amiga programs such as IFX or a paint program ??

Everywhere. Your setup is clearly oversized if only used with WinUAE. On every PC with 1000MHz or above WinUAE will run more than 2 to 10 times faster than every Amiga which ever existed. It even outperforms a CyberstormPPC 233MHz.

Bye,
Thomas

Offline Thomas

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2004, 10:32:58 AM »

AF6 is not an OS, it is a software package. It comes with a ready-to-run AmigaOS. AmigaOS only runs on Amiga hardware, so you need an emulator like UAE to run it on PC hardware. UAE is contained in the AF6 package, too.

If you boot from the CD, the first OS started is Knoppix. It is an OS which runs on PC hardware. Knoppix then starts UAE and UAE runs AmigaOS. All of this is contained on the AF6 CD, no other package needed.

If you have Windows installed on your PC, insert the AF6 CD and the launcher will pop up. You can then choose different configurations for WinUAE and WinUAE will load and run AmigaOS. WinUAE and AmigaOS are contained on the CD. The CD contains AmigaOS1.3 on ADF files and a mix of AmigaOS 3.1 and 3.9 in directories used as harddrives in WinUAE.

Concluding the CD contains almost all you need. There are even some applications on it (PPaint, DOpus, TurboText ...)

Bye,
Thomas

Offline Thomas

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2004, 01:38:13 PM »

It depends on the device:

- Input devices like keyboard, mouse, joystick: WinUAE uses the Windows drivers and allows to use the devices as if they were original Amiga devices. Tablets work as a mouse (AFAIK).

- Storage devices: harddisks work through Windows drivers, CD/DVD-ROMs/writers need AmigaOS drivers

- Printers: both Windows and AmigaOS drivers are needed

- Scanners: only SCSI scanners are supported. You need AmigaOS drivers and ASPI for Windows.

- USB: WinUAE does not allow direct access to the USB bus, so devices not matching into one of the above are not supported (e.g. USB scanners).

Bye,
Thomas

Offline Thomas

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2004, 11:54:39 PM »

I have to say it feels like a high end '040 or low end '060 (I know, big difference! It depends what you're doing though) on my 1200MHz P3 laptop.

Are you talking about Knoppix booted from the AF6 CD or about WinUAE running on Windows ?

Having my A4000 with CyberstormPPC 060/50MHz, PPC 233MHz and Voodoo3 3000 standing next to my AMD Athlon 1100MHz and Geforce 400MX gfx card, WinUAE is more a high-high-high-high-end 060 when compared to the real thing.

UnixUAE on Knoppix is certainly much slower, because it lacks the JIT engine.

Bye,
Thomas

Offline Thomas

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2004, 08:47:07 PM »

i received a 'complain via pm '

And why do you care so much about it ? Private mail means nothing.

If a moderator advises you to stop doing something, you should do so in the future. No need to remove old posts, the moderator can do it himself. If he doesn't, the posts are not as offending as you think.

If someone else (not a moderator) sends you a private mail, this is his own opinion and you are free to have you own, even if it is the exact opposite. There is not even the need to react.

However you should try to make your posts more readable. What you are currently practicing here is not the correct format. Perhaps this page can help you: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
You should read it thoroughly. If you follow it, nobody will ever complain about your posts again.

Bye,
Thomas