Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Booting from compactflash.device or scsi.device automagically  (Read 5192 times)

Description:

Offline Thomas

; FIXME: Figure out what keeps us from deleting RAM:ENV

You cannot delete it, because it is in use. You assigned ENV: to it. Remove the ENV: assign before the delete command, then it will delete without error.

; FIXME: Mount needs ENV:, but this will cause a message
; to popup later from the normal startup-sequence.

Startup-Sequence issues a message because it wants to create ram:env directory but it already exists. Either delete ram:env before you run startup-sequence or assign env: to somewhere else.  Assign env: ram: will do the trick and also saves one line from your script.

Offline Thomas

Re: Booting from compactflash.device or scsi.device automagically
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 07:54:12 AM »
Quote from: Franko;584606
I don't quite understand why you need to deploy this method to use a HD. I simply bootup from one of my 500GB HDs and straight away I have access to both my 500GB HDs with partition sizes of my own choice.

Seems to me your going a long way round to do something that is available from power up, why do you have to reboot ?

The internal IDE controller can only access the first 4GB of a drive at boot time. If you have a 500GB drive fully working at boot time, then it is not connected to the internal IDE controller but to some third-party controller which supports large harddrives by firmware. Or you have a ROM expansion like Deneb, eFlash or Kickflash which contain the needed drivers.

Not to mention that there is no way to boot from PCMCIA without loading drivers first.