Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sonnet crescendo 7200 and OS4.1  (Read 18034 times)

Description:

Offline wawrzon

Re: Sonnet crescendo 7200 and OS4.1
« Reply #14 from previous page: May 17, 2018, 09:27:35 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;839448
Do you think the other operating system camps don't use version control or something* ?
that would actually be mandatory, but as they are closed its a bit hard to guess how it looks like. with os4, since apparently there are distinct individuals who actually own their code, which is part of the os, it might well be, that this code isnt hosted in a common repo, but only binaries are being delivered for a release. sounds bothersome to maintain, but would explain, why it is so hard to gather and deliver an update, even if some issues have been fixed and tested for years, as some members claim. similarly thor has complained, that it was a long way to get at least majority of os components building within one build system.

one way or the other. i cant actually tell as im not involved. with aros the particular bauty is, that you can actually compile the whole os, contributions and many ports with just configure and make. yu just Need to choose the supported platforms and your desired flags.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 11:17:14 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;839454
Having had access to the source repository in the past, I can confirm that the OS4 sources are maintained under version control. There really is no alternative when working on projects that size.

I was just bemused by Iggy's statement which made it sound like version control was some sort of revelation that only the AROS team used.

Yes, i imagine. Perhaps this is the whole reason for nda, as obligation towards individual developers. Dont disclose too much btw.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2018, 04:23:11 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;839489
What does anything you just said have to do with what I wrote?

thats iggy how we know him, right?

;)P

im curious if his aros ppc fork will share the fate of his appointed ppc custom hardware design. nevertheless, as i wished him luck, i hope it wont. looking at safari-leopard webikt diffs id really love to have some relevant big endian testing platforms. without too much bragging about. better doing.