Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: It's been a long time  (Read 1666 times)

Description:

Offline wawrzon

Re: It's been a long time
« on: May 01, 2017, 10:12:29 AM »
Quote from: SACC-guy;825191
You missed that he want an Amiga! for aprrox $200

yes, it seems he wants an amiga, not some ppc amigaone board, which is what you are apparently missing. please, stop trying to insist on newcomers, to throw thousands of dollars away for something, they likely never heard about (and that may not be, what they identify amiga with), just to run amiga software under emulation, as you would have to do on a regular pc.

btw, i have several amigas, still far from dying as it seems. and i can even run aros on them along with genuine software, no additional investments necessary. try that with os4.. sigh..

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 11:02:23 AM »
Quote from: SACC-guy;825198
I too have several Amigas, all working...

exactly. its all fine..

as to ppc is not amiga, Oh please, that old fable...
Amiga had the 060/ppc card back in the MorphOS 1.4 days (I still have mine)

you dont have to tell me. i have one. the ppc on it is not of much use, but scsi interface is fine. all in all, an (almost) completely failed concept.

MorphOS was setup on ppc.

at least morphos people usually dont pretend they are "the (only) true amiga".

The only new Amiga has PPC, get over it!

it is your personal view. its fine as long as you mark it as such, rather than trying to impose it on others.

trying to get people caught with serious investment they might not realize e details of till it is to late is not a fair form of advertisement. take your example on kas1e over on aw.net, who is doing it right.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 11:10:50 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;825175
Amiga is not a cheap hobby.  Thank the hoarders who've snapped up nearly all of the available remaining systems, thus raising the price for returning folks like yourself.  :(

news to me. i have not spend much money on it since years, the only costly (and completely failed) experiment was to buy a system along with a ppc card to check if it delivers something significantly more, which it did not.

today, when fpga accelerators and replacement systems become popular for reasonable money, the situation is better than ever, i guess.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 11:47:48 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;825202
I can get behind the idea of replacing my legacy hardware with a well designed fpga system.

i woulnt want to replace my amigas with whatever. but to each heir own. its nice to actually have the options, without being outright forced into anything.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 11:01:00 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;825226
Until you try to run 68K software, which because you OS is wrong endian means you have to emulate everything.

funny thing, im pretty sure, that as soon as morphos or os4 was ported to x86, you would call that a necessary and advanced feature.

good thing is that aros is endian agnostic. you certainly know on an amiga it runs amiga software without any emulation whatsoever. have fun with your further nitpicking.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 09:25:07 AM »
actually amiga and the derived oses are all 32bit except for aros that may be either 32 or 64 bit.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 12:21:32 PM »
A(R)OS

for those distressed with aros being a research os, one day someone may put together a distribution witout the R. problem solved.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 12:53:14 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;825271
As to developers, you're all using Odyssey, and that was created from webkit by a core MorphOS developer.

another example of wrong recollection, i wonder if on purpose..

odyssey same as aros owb was created based on owb engine, which was first used in os4 owb, by joerg s. then fab took that, maintained it, added mui gui, switched to webkit itself, which the previous engine was an abandoned fork of anyway and renamed it as odyssey. then he opened his sources for a bounty and aros together with os4 developers took over, and here it is today in a cross platform repository available for everyone:

https://github.com/deadwood-pl/OdysseyWebBrowser

certainly, fabs role is a major one, but altogether it is what you practically might call a cooperative effort.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 02:04:03 PM »
Quote from: Terminills;825275
You actually missed that when Stanislaw Szymczyk made the original AROS version of OWB he and fab cooperated.

no, i didnt miss that. I mention aros owb right on the beginning. Im well aware of it, as im constantly messing with its sources trying to get it work for 68k again.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 02:16:48 PM »
Quote from: Terminills;825277
I know I read the ML ;P

If that crosscompiling icu issue was solved we might perhaps have odyssey for all platforms in an instant, it was the same showstopper when i tried to compile it for 68k last year.