Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PC still playing Amiga catchup  (Read 69486 times)

Description:

Offline orb85750

• Show all replies
Re: PC still playing Amiga catchup
« on: May 29, 2009, 02:32:29 AM »
Quote from: Gibbersan;456747
Yet there is still the sad fact that the latest PCs slow to a crawl when trying to multitask.

Perhaps too many memory-intensive apps open at the same time in combination with too little memory in your system to run them all?  HDD swap space starts getting used very heavily and makes you want to tear all your hair out or do something violent?

Offline orb85750

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 02:50:05 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;456788
The Amiga as we all know and love it is long dead as a serious platform. CBM saw to that back in the early 90's.

If you mean that Amiga is obsolete, I disagree.  While not state-of-the-art by any means, even the classic Amiga is still useful in many areas (beyond just vintage gaming).  What constitutes a "serious platform" anyway?

Offline orb85750

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 06:54:35 PM »
Quote from: Wayne;457105
@stefcep

Using an Amiga today is a hobby for everyone, and I mean 99.999% of everyone on the planet.  Aside from the strange car wash or local public television station, there are literally no more legitimate uses for an Amiga in a professional setting.  

No, no.  I just yesterday sold a monitor to a gentleman in Canada in urgent need of it because they use an Amiga 4000/30 to run their business.  I've asked for the details, but he has not responded.  Fact is that many professional uses from the 80s and 90s are still relevant today.   PCs have surpassed Amiga in this regard, but that does not make Amiga obsolete unless you make the personal choice to declare it as such

Offline orb85750

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 07:05:06 PM »
In a similar vein, let me say that it may be good to ponder the thought that many of the greatest creative works of the past were produced with technology that is today considered "obsolete."

Offline orb85750

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 08:00:46 PM »
You wrote:
"I don't think anyone's attempting to argue that a synthesized violin is a better instrument than a Stradivarius; however, the Amiga is not a Stradivarius. [...]"
---------
Then let me use an apples compared with apples argument versus your apples (electronic) compared with oranges (extremely well-crafted acoustic) argument.  Take much of the early electronic music work of the late 70s and early 80s.  Much of it far surpasses what is put out with today's modern synthesizers.   Sure, it did generally take more thought, technical understanding, and ingenuity to produce great electronic music 3 decades ago than it does today.  However, it should not be considered ludicrous that perhaps some of that older technology had *some* advantages over the current high tech equipment of 2009.  I don't believe that progress in every last subcategory of every category is linear (or even monatonic).  Market/corporate forces, which are what usually pushes new technology, simply are not 100% efficient/intelligent.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 08:07:14 PM by orb85750 »