Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New "Amiga", $169.00  (Read 2773 times)

Description:

Offline Ohno

• Show all replies
Re: New "Amiga", $169.00
« on: March 18, 2003, 07:33:49 AM »
So how _do_ one run AmigaDE on the SL550?

You have to flash it with a new ROM, but I don't think you should bother. There's only an old version of DE available as far as I know. A lot has happened since version 1.0 and the applications that are currently written for Amiga-Anywhere won't een run on it unmodified anymore. Going to Tao's intent version 1.3 gave us a lot of improvements, but at the cost of backward compatibility. If you want to have a PDA with Amiga-Anywhere running on it, buy one of those thingies with a microsoft OS for now .... other platforms are in the works (I have a Compaq iPAQ myself, which works great).
The Zaurus is an excellent device (although on the previous devices the battery was drained pretty quickly), but if you want a PDA that can run Amiga-Anywhere right now you shouldn't spend your money on this device. Maybe later :)

Offline Ohno

• Show all replies
Re: New "Amiga", $169.00
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2003, 01:50:30 PM »
would it not be possable to run the Linux client on the PDA? Or am I talking out of my a*se?!

It would be possible if we had a linux client for that processor. There is a runtime for Linux on X86, but the client needs to be compiled for the correct target processor to be able to run.
This is the case for WinCE as well, but more effort has gone into this, so most target processors are already supported here.

Regards,

Onno