Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PS4 developers tell us what makes the system stand out  (Read 4405 times)

Description:

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show all replies
Re: PS4 developers tell us what makes the system stand out
« on: November 16, 2013, 12:51:39 PM »
My problem with this generation of consoles (excluding Nintendo as since the Wii they have decided last generation quality graphics are enough to compete) is that for the first time on launch day there are plenty of PC machines that will perform better than them.

Atari 2600 vs Hercules PC
Commodore 64/Colecovision vs CGA PC
Amiga 1000 vs PC-AT
PS1 vs MMX PC
Xbox1 vs Pentium 3 PC
360 vs PC

OK in some cases it's very close and the difference is made up for by coding for a closed hardware reference vs a million and one hardware combinations running on a sh1t OS that throws CPU power away for no reason on top of that.

But the PS4 and even more so the Xbox-One are really budget priced AMD CPU'd spec PCs costing very little. The exclusive titles are getting less and less exclusive and the fact that the two new consoles are essentially PCs just running a different OS will mean greedy software house will not be able to resist doing crappy ports on PC (and telling you to run them on an i7 to compensate for crap OS/coding).

We are now in the situation of NES vs Amiga 1000. What kind of idiot would buy an NES instead of an Amiga 500 in 1988 before the Sega 16bit consoles....hmmm....I see your point....in the US they will be a massive success I guess if history repeats itself LOL

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show all replies
Re: PS4 developers tell us what makes the system stand out
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 05:10:48 PM »
Quote from: odin;752843
The new consoles don't really interest me, then again, apart from a PS1 and an Atari 2600 I've never owned consoles when they were fresh and popular. I actually hate joypads. So for me it'll still be Steam.

Indeed. In the whole desert island scenario if I could only have three machines (with access to any game ever produced on them) I would probably go with 2600, C64 and PS1. Those three machines have such an amazing back catalogue and for the EU were a revolution in the late 70s to late 90s. You could not ask for a finest back catalogue of games on any other combination of 3 systems in my opinion.