Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Some questions about AROS  (Read 1826 times)

Description:

Offline Amiga_NutTopic starter

• Show all replies
Some questions about AROS
« on: June 08, 2010, 03:04:59 PM »
I haven't even looked at using AROS for a very long time and I'm sure many things have changed so excuse these rather basic questions :)

Firstly does anyone know if AROS has a particular issue with IBM X30 netbook style machines? Is there a website I can visit to get an idea of the headaches as far as drivers or hardware support for laptops go? (ie like OS X86 project compatibility list) It has Intel 830MG graphics, not sure on the audio chipset.

Do I need to install Linux first if I want the latest and best version of AROS? I have a blank machine and the DVD docking station so is it OK to just boot a CD and install the latest most feature rich version from there, are we there yet?

Think that's about it for now :)

TIA

• Show all replies
Re: Some questions about AROS
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 03:27:25 PM »
I will be trying that later tonight :)

So I guess there is no difference now between live booting distro and the old Linux install version like in the past? I want to have it boot from the hard drive, as the extra 1kg docking station with DVD unit is only for emergencies. It's just too bulky with the docking station attached.

• Show all replies
Re: Some questions about AROS
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 11:12:19 PM »
OK cheers everyone, I was planning on using a spare machine I have repaired and so the hard drive will be blank.

Just need to get hold of a drive that won't hamper the machine's speed and of a suitable size......without destroying my even smaller ultra portable with it's 60gb 7200RPM drive which I kinda like as it is :)

I'm sure there will be more doofus type questions later! But I haven't looked at using AROS for probably 3/4 years for those that are scratching their heads in amazement.