Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Memory Management in AmigaOS4.0 Explained  (Read 5112 times)

Description:

Offline Legerdemain

• Show all replies
Re: Memory Management in AmigaOS4.0 Explained
« on: December 14, 2005, 11:37:16 AM »
Back in the old days of the original AmigaOS, the system used to allocate areas of unused memory to new tasks was pretty simple.

This isn't even good english. The sentence doesn't make sense? "was pretty simple"? WHAT was pretty simple?

Shouldn't it be something like:

"the WAY THE / SOLUTION TO HOW THE / WHATEVER THE LIKE system used to allocate areas of unused memory to new tasks was pretty simple.

I'm no professional in english, apparently, but that just looked plain ugly.
Amiga 1200, Mirage Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260/50, SCSI Kit, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD, Mediator SX, Soundblaster 128, Voodoo 3 and Realtek 8139.

Offline Legerdemain

• Show all replies
Re: Memory Management in AmigaOS4.0 Explained
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 04:44:14 PM »
Hm. Okay, the way it was written made me misinterpret the sentence.

"the system". So they refer to "the system used" as simple. But then I would have written it like "the system used, to allocate areas of unused memory to new tasks, was pretty simple.". Without using "," before and after "to allocate areas of unused memory to new tasks" I don't really find it an easy read.

So... "was pretty simple" is now what determines how "the system used to" should be interpreted. Since it on the first read could easly be interpreted as someting like "(once upon a time) the system did allocate memory", until reaching the end of the sentince, instead of "the system (that was) used to" I would still say that it is a rather vague sentence. I think at least SOME of my past english teachers would agree with me...  :lol:
Amiga 1200, Mirage Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260/50, SCSI Kit, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD, Mediator SX, Soundblaster 128, Voodoo 3 and Realtek 8139.