Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Possible Dead Blizzard PPC? FIXED!!!  (Read 3432 times)

Description:

Offline nine3oTopic starter

• Show all replies
Possible Dead Blizzard PPC? FIXED!!!
« on: February 11, 2008, 02:38:42 AM »
Hi All,

Need some help with my blizzard PPC.

I have a A1200 Rev 1D mother board and a 200mhz PPC/ o4o card and when I power on I either get a black screen or sometimes a red screen.

The o4o does get quite warm (so I don't think it is dead but I could be wrong) and the machine can be rebooted (A, A, Ctrl) but no matter what I do (hold Esc, or both mouse buttons) I can not get anything on the screen besides black or some times red.

I have tried this with no ram mounted and no other devices attached with the same results above.

I do have a 235 watt AT power supply powering the whole thing (I tried another power supply just in case) and I have an extra 5Vdc wire going to the PPC fan connector and the fan powered separately.

Do I have a dead board? :-(
A1200 with Blizzard 1230MKiV 64MB fast ram

• Show all replies
Re: Possible Dead Blizzard PPC?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 04:54:11 PM »
Thanks for the info on the timing fixes, but does that apply to all motherboards???

The way I read it, seems the timing fixes are for 1D4 and 2B motherboards.  I have a 1D1 and not sure if removing E123C and E125C apply???

And yes I do have the PSU power to floppy connector as well ;-)

@pyrre
Have performed the timing fixes to your motherboard?  What revision board do you have?
Also if you upgrade your o4o to an o6o any time soon, can you let me know if it does resolve your issues?

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 08:27:23 PM »
OK, I have not mustered up enough courage to take a soldering iron to the back of the A1200 to remove the SMT capacitors, but I did try no ram and holding down 2, and unfortunately it still comes up with a black screen.

Does this mean I need send it to JJ for repairs?

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 03:31:36 AM »
OK, so I made a mistake in my last post...  If I do hold down the 2 key with or with out RAM installed the 1200 boots up...

So what does that mean???

Also, the silk screen on the mother board does say 1D, is that a 1D1???

Also if this is a 1D1 does the timing fix of removing the 2 SMT capacitors on the back still valid???

Any more help would be much appreciated guys, and I thank you for all the help so far!

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 04:27:57 PM »
@AmigaMance

Thanks for the response, it makes me feel a bit better that its not a dead o4o.  I tried removing the hard drive and only power up with just the floppy, same thing, I also tried with no floppy or hard drive, same thing, also tried just hard drive, same thing, the "insert disk" screen never appears.

@actung_bab

I purchased this card almost a year ago, it worked with my old A1200 (I don't recall the revision on that board) but that A1200 died and never tried the card again until I received this A1200, been very busy travelling for work) and I just recently tried running with this card (I had a 1230 MKIV in this A1200 with no problems)
Problem is I can't get into the PPC boot menu or the Amiga boot menu, the machine never changes from a black screen unless I hold down the 2 button.  I have a fan blowing across the o4o but I will try installing a heat sink/fan combo.

@ -D-

Thanks for clarifying that, but I did find in another post on here that some one with an 1D1 motherboard did remove the caps on the back (E123C & E125C), once I find that post I will provide a link and ask the fellow if it did make a difference.

:EDIT:

OK looks like Painkiller removed the 2 caps on his 1D1 board
Here

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 03:00:46 AM »
OK, so i removed E123C & E125C, now the machine comes up but only after 2 minutes of a black screen. (I know this is not a fix for 1D1 motherboards but I'm desperate!)

By holding down the two mouse buttons it shows no cards installed.

If I boot up workbench the fast ram shows up and it shows that the o4o is installed (typing CPU in shell).

But the thing is everytime soft reset or cold power cycle the machine always takes about 2 minutes boot up...

(I never xfered the 3.1 chips from my dead motherboard, was afraid since I don't know what is wrong with the old one, I may just order a new set from amigakit)

Is it because I am running this card with 3.0 Kickstart?

Will this card work better with 3.1 Kickstart?

• Show all replies
Re: Possible Dead Blizzard PPC? FIXED!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 04:04:12 PM »
@ all

Guys thank you for your help in resolving this issue.

The card is now running perfect again (well from cold boot it does sometimes require a soft reset).

The fix???  Need to pay closer attention to detail  :-D

I removed E123R not E123C!!!  I replaced E123R and removed E123C and all is perfect again!!!

Thanks to all of you for your continuing support!!!