Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 3rd party Airport Extreme question (Mac)  (Read 2230 times)

Description:

Offline save2600Topic starter

• Show all replies
3rd party Airport Extreme question (Mac)
« on: November 09, 2009, 10:19:20 PM »
Okay, so NONE of my computer upgrades are working this week save for a RAM upgrade on my G3. Auction stated I would be getting PC100 RAM, but was send 133... not a big deal as it seems to work just fine, but it's the point. Anyway... take a look at this wireless card please:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400071334544&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123#ht_2893wt_1164

...plug and play my arse. My B/W G3 does not see this card at all. Not under System Profiler/Airport OR PCI/PC cards. Can't manually or magically "create" a profile for it in Networks either and I'm running OS 10.4.3.

I have tried to reinstall the card in the same slot to no avail. It's in the 3rd slot down from the video slot. I know the slot works as I had a PCI USB card there. Is the guy full of shite in the auction (he has yet to reply from this morning) or are there drivers I need to install for this? Card could be fried too. Been my luck this week  :-(

• Show all replies
Re: 3rd party Airport Extreme question (Mac)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 10:52:14 PM »
Yeah, I'm using 10.4.3, clean install and all that good stuff - so they should be there. Card isn't anywhere to be found in system prefs. I wrote to the guy and he does have a guarantee, but geez... I'm not battin' very well this past week  :-(

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 11:43:07 PM »
Yes, went to Network pane... Airport simply isn't an option. I don't suspect it will be until it shows up in the basic Hardware Pane first. And even after installing the Airport Installer (which is already included in Tiger), and a reboot - still no go. Card is dead. Just like my CF<>IDE card from Finland.

Thanks for the help though pan1k!!

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 11:58:55 PM »
Quote from: MobbyG;529000
What chip does the card use? You may need to find a 3rd party driver for it. I have a Belkin N that won't work on my Macs without a specific 3rd Party dirver.

Gosh, I have no idea. There's a metal shield surrounding something that I'm guessing are chips or a chip. Damn thing is soldered on too. Did you check out the link? The guy claims no drivers are needed, etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400071334544&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123#ht_2893wt_1164