Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: G5 Pegasos!  (Read 2647 times)

Description:

Offline Raffaele

• Show all replies
Re: G5 Pegasos!
« on: July 19, 2006, 01:56:39 PM »

Karlos wrote:
Does MOS actually run 64-bit native? That would be rather cool :-)

Nope!

MorphOS is just 32 bit as OS 4.0...

...and both OSes could NOT use Simmetrical MultiProcessing (SMP) to let the scheduled jobs that the OS should perform in its normal daily working, all the threads, all I/O and the allocations of tasks and data into memory to be splitted on any core of any CPU to divide the work, reduce the usage and increase speed.

At least Bill Buck said that these new Pegasos III are ready for virtualization.

This means (rough and approximatively) that you can run one istance of MorphOS in one G5 core by using 32 bit mode compatibility, and another instance into another core using same mode.

Or you can run Linux, in one or two cores Linux, Mac OS in a third core, and MorphOS in the fourth core.

Or maybe you can use Linux in full 64 bit in two cores and doing something else into other two cores with MacOS in 32 bit and MorphOS in 32 bit.

Or again you can run Linux in one CPU using both cores at full 64bit, and MacOS in MOLK emulation in the other CPU using both cores at 64 bit.

(two Oses at full 64 bit running at same time)

Or even finally you can run four istances of MorphOS, all running in 32 bit emulation in any of G5 cores.

If true, then it could be really interesting unless someone will decide that AmigaOS or MorphOS should be ported to 64 bit and modified to support SMP.

Time will see.
Que viva el Amiga!
Long Life the Amiga!
Vive l\'Amiga!
Viva Amiga!

Offline Raffaele

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 02:35:10 PM »

Tomas wrote:
No use if it wont even run MorphOS.....

From what i heard, there is no plans on porting MorphOS to a new Pegasos box..

Bill Buck needs to sell a certain amount of Pegasos III to stay this year in pair with his business plan.

He asked us MorphOS users if we want to buy one, and we answered him (whole users as one man) that we will buy one if he could grant us full MorphOS support.

Now the questions are:

1) How much money could Bill Buck invest into MorphOS?

2) Do the MorphOS team will continue to blame and disgust Bill Buck or they will agree to accept money from Bill?

It is only a  matter on about how many money will make the difference between to have or not to have a new MorphOS for G5.

A very shakepearian dilemma!  :lol:

(The theatre of Amiga dramas sure it overcomes all tragedies ever written)...  :rtfm:  :crazy:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :-P
Que viva el Amiga!
Long Life the Amiga!
Vive l\'Amiga!
Viva Amiga!

Offline Raffaele

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 05:01:43 AM »

ZXoney wrote:
Don't worry! When I win the lotto I'll make sure MorphOS is ported to 64bit! Maybe even build a Power6 Desktop for MorphOS with 128 cores :-D

You share same ideas with me... ;-)
Que viva el Amiga!
Long Life the Amiga!
Vive l\'Amiga!
Viva Amiga!