Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Efika 5k2  (Read 10529 times)

Description:

Offline zylesea

• Show all replies
    • http://www.via-altera.de
Re: Efika 5k2
« on: August 27, 2009, 10:30:00 PM »
Quote from: Rodomoc;521147
I concur that the Radeon 9250 works with Efika 5200B system. I'll have to check exact manufacturer of my card but I got the AGP version, plugged it into pci-agp adapter supplied with the Efika and had zero problems.
----------
I have been running Efika/Morph for about 6 months now. Simply experimental so far but Morph a nice little OS. My next move will be to jump to Morph2.3.
----------
I have yet to register my Morph because I do not want my registration tied to the Efika board. I am holding out for eventual Mac Mini port of Morph and will register OS on the better machine.

You will actually love 2.3. It is very stable now and the speed increased again. Also OWB runs much faster now and frees memory while running. usb works vey well for me, MSDs reach 900kb/s.
But some ppl report from usb probs still.
I like my Efika quite much, but it is also a bit special though.

Offline zylesea

• Show all replies
    • http://www.via-altera.de
Re: Efika 5k2
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 09:47:29 AM »
Quote from: gxenakis;587146
:( little disappointed by what you are writing. Is it really so unstable ?

No, it is not unstable. The firmware seems to be a bit picky about usb sticks. My older usb sticks work with the firmware, newer don't. Once MorphOS is booted all my usb sticks do work.
MorphOS works fine on the Efika. The hdd is slow (but with a flash memory it is conveniently fast for normal usage), teh RAM issue is an issue, but IMHO not as bad as some may say. OWB works nice on the board.
But I would only recommend the Efika if you either want to have a ultra low enrgy and 100% silent system (my Efika system draws 14W with 128 MB Radeon 9250) or your main purpose is to tinker around (cafting a case, do seldom things...
If your main purpose is to *use* MorphOS w/o hassle a Pegasos, Mac mini, PowerMac or eMac may be the way to go.
Best is to have an Efika for toying around (and as fall back system) and a G4 for everyday use - at least that is my approach.