Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A few AmigaONE questions.....  (Read 4562 times)

Description:

Offline jd997uk

• Show all replies
Re: A few AmigaONE questions.....
« on: November 01, 2002, 06:09:09 PM »
@ kd7ota
1.Since OS4 will have virtual memory, will it be struggling like Windoze does?

It shouldn't do. It's fair to say that the 68k emulator is going to need a fair bit of RAM, so unless your running OS4 on 8MB RAM,you should be OK. Oh, the VM only kicks in when the real RAM is running out, unlike WinXX which is always running.
2.Will the machine boot up as fast as a 68030/50mhz A1200 I have now

The bootup is meant to be very fast. 5 secs for the bios to initialise and not much longer for the OS to kick in.  :-D
3.Will my Voodoo 3 3000 AGP card work for OS4 out of the package?

I think we can take it pretty much for granted that Voodoo support will be there, along with ATI, although only reckon on 2D support with 3D to follow (guesswork here).
4.Can you run previous PPC software onto OS4, like a PPC application for OS3.9 onto a new G3 cpu and OS4?

Yes. AFAIK, Warp PPC stuff will work on OS4
5.How much space will AmigaONE take up to install.

Estimates vary from 30 to 50% more than 3.9
6.Will I be able to use Winmodems, like my USR 56k PCI internal WinModem?

Highly unlikely. Those winmodems are utter rubbish anyway, you'll get more satisfaction smashing it with a hammer, than trying to get it ever to work on OS4

With regard to the case,HDD's & PSU, they all seem OK. You might be on thin ice with the RAM though, 133 registered RAM modules are recommended (not totally certain if they are actually required though - Rose?).

-john
Update

I've just checked through Joshua's posts (from Forefront, who have written the drivers) from a while back and support for the new Radeons are not guarenteed, although maybe an update will clear things up.
Don\\\'t panic - bite the towel.